6 Replies - 2362 Views - Last Post: 12 August 2012 - 06:57 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Website Admin Panel

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:34 AM

Hello All,

First of all, i'll like you all to know that i'm new in web programming. So pardon me if my request appears disturbing, inconveniencing, better still, unprofessional. Okay, here is what i'm facing; I've developed a website which is up and running perfectly. However, i need to develop an Admin Panel that can make changes to the website. The changes must not be database related. The Admin Panel should be able to add/update the website content, add more submenus, etc.

I have no idea on how to go about this. I've done some googling but couldn't lay my hands on something useful(maybe its because i'm not professional). So i'm begging you all to share your ideas with me. If there is any site you know where I can get an Admin Panel that serve this purpose, please kindly refer. Hope my problem description gives you better understanding of my problem. Thanks for reading.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Website Admin Panel

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Website Admin Panel

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:22 AM

why does it have to be without database?

anyways, you need to know first, how you want to save the data (and which format). then you need a way to keep that organised, to build the menues.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:53 AM

Firstly, what you ask is quite unusual. In order to build an web admin panel, developpers often rely on storing the required data (such as posts, comments, links etc.) into a database because it's easier to manage. For a beginner in web programmig I'd suggest using a CMS (Content Management System) such as Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla etc., but these involve working with a database.

I'll suppose your web host does not provide database support, well in this case you may try building your own admin system using Javascript & PHP. However, it's kinda hard for a beginner to build one and I don't know any website which would provide support for your problem.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:57 AM

Thanks for your reply, I stated "must not be database related" because i'm not so sure if database is required to execute such task. If you think database is required, could you please give me some hint on how to go about it?

I've only learnt HTML thus far, i have little or no idea in PHP / Javascript. Thats why i'm having this great problem now. Yes, My host support PHP/MYSQL/DATABASE.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:14 AM

Only HTML, huh? Well, in this case my advice is to use a CMS, maybe Wordpress, it will provide you all the support you need in order to organise and edit your website content - posts, menus, comments. The downside here is: you'll have to choose one of the themes they provide you and edit it, so that your website will look the way you want (but no worries, there are a lot of wordpress tutorials over the internet). In my opinion, this is, by far, the best choice for someone who wants to build a website really fast and doesn't have advanced web programming knowledges.

Hope this helped you :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:25 AM

Im with StefanOnRails here. if you only know HTML and no server-side programming language, creating a content management system yourself is more than you can cope with.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:57 PM

I have to agree with the other two. What you're requesting is impossible without using some form of a scripting language. If you want to learn how to do that though, I suggest learning PHP. It's extremely useful. PHP isn't your only option though. There's also Ruby, Python, and many other languages, but that'd mean you'd need to switch hosts. Without any programming knowledge then using a premade CMS like WordPress would be best.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1