14 Replies - 2120 Views - Last Post: 22 August 2012 - 05:07 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Reinstalling windows 7 home premium

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:14 AM

Hello! I read many forums and did not get a competent and accurate answer so I decided to post here.

I have bought a laptop and it has installed Russian language on windows 7 home premium. I know the only way to change the language via the language pack is to upgrade to higher versions but I have the following question: Can I download and install the same version (windows 7 home premium 64bit) with US English now with the same product key with keeping license?

Thank you

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Reinstalling windows 7 home premium

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Reinstalling windows 7 home premium

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:22 AM

I'm pretty certain the license key is not language specific, just version specific. It shouldn't be a problem. Boot from an install DVD, choose to format the drive and do a full install not an upgrade.

If you want to play it safe pull the hard drive out and put in a new one for your English installation. That way you can always switch back. There are numerous adapters/cases for putting a laptop drive on as an external USB. So put in a new (bigger?) internal drive and use can access the old one via USB if you need it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:14 AM

If I understand you correctly, you bought a laptop and the OS displays everything in Russian because of the Russian Language pack is installed, correct? Now, you don't want the OS to be in Russian but in English, correct?

Just install the English Language pack, set that as the default language, and change a few regional settings and you'll be good to go.

I know it can be done... A friend screwed me over on time, and to get back at him I installed the Thai Language Pack, which he couldn't read and couldn't use anything, so he had to reinstall... No he didn't make backups or sys restore points...
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:32 AM

Thank you both for your replies. Both are useful. GunnerInc you understand me correctly, that is exactly the problem with me but...

Just install the English Language pack, set that as the default language, and change a few regional settings and you'll be good to go.

As I know this cant be done on windows home premium version. If it can be done and you know it please state how. Otherwise Im gonna try what tlhIn`toq suggested - download an English version of OS from microsoft site and install it with my existing product key on the back side of laptop.

BTW, tlhIn`toq, as I read the whole internet forums everybody (including msdn forums) say that reinstalling OS will not help and the only choice is to upgrade to Ultimate version where the language packs are available.

Thank you both again

This post has been edited by tsotne1990: 11 August 2012 - 09:59 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

According to Microsoft's support database, only Ultimate and Enterprise editions can use the language packs. [Ref.] You'll have to buy an upgrade to Ultimate if you want to use them.

(And my opinion on Microsoft just dropped a few points.)

View Posttsotne1990, on 11 August 2012 - 04:32 PM, said:

BTW, tlhIn`toq, as I read the whole internet forums everybody (including msdn forums) say that reinstalling OS will not help and the only choice is to upgrade to Ultimate version where the language packs are available.

Keep in mind that Microsoft wants you to buy the upgrade, so I'd be careful about trusting their experts too much on this issue. Installing the OS again from an English DVD should change the language.

P.S.
I can't help pointing out that Linux systems are completely free, and switching between languages is extremely easy on most of them. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:40 AM

Looked into it and yes, need Ultimate or higher. Did not know that, took for granted all that I can do. Gotta love MS for their different OS packages...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:44 AM

Hi Atli. Thanks for your answer. Yes I know microsoft's motivation behind their suggestions but it was stated in official website so...
Are you sure reinstalling will work? Have anybody here tried? I dont want to reinstall and stay on trial mode if I am unable to enter the original key.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:59 AM

I have never been in a position to test this situation myself, no, so I can't guarantee anything. I'm as positive that using an English DVD will change the language as I can be without testing it, but I'm not sure the key will work. - Is there any chance to do like tlhIn`toq suggested and swap out the HDD, so you can install this on a fresh drive and then just switch them back if it fails? Or perhaps create a new partition to test this on? (A bit trickier, but nothing overly complicated.)

View Posttsotne1990, on 11 August 2012 - 05:44 PM, said:

Yes I know microsoft's motivation behind their suggestions but it was stated in official website so...

There are few things I trust less than official info from companies like Microsoft about their own products :)
(But that may just be me.)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:55 AM

I would simply find an English install DVD (torrents are great) and install it using your key from the original.

If you contact Microsoft with this issue, they would be stuffing W7U down your throat.
Was This Post Helpful? -3
  • +
  • -

#10 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:02 PM

We don't support torrenting software illegally.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:15 PM

With all due respect, the torrent in and of itself is only an install package. Windows must be activated using a purchased key within 30 days of installation.

This would be no different than downloading the .iso trial/install (same file) directly from Microsoft, except for higher DL speeds on torrent.
Was This Post Helpful? -2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:06 PM

I'm sure if you go through whatever EULA is attached to those ISO files that you will find a clause forbidding redistribution.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:16 PM

In fact, it says exactly that.

The Software is made available for download solely for use by end users according to the License Agreement. Any reproduction or redistribution of the Software not in accordance with the License Agreement is expressly prohibited by law, and may result in severe civil and criminal penalties. Violators will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible.

Cite: http://www.microsoft...ht/Default.aspx
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:27 PM

@fatalpriapism - the OP and I already had a discussion about this today. Your theory simply breaks down as these are general installs - laptops now-a-days (well for the last six or eight years) have "recovery" dvds .

These dvds restore the machine to what the OS was when it left the factory - bloatware and all. Most manufacturers even go as far as locking down specific installs to specific model numbers and creation dates. That means the key for your laptop more than likely is paired with that machine and any media you should have created when you got it.

In the end the answer is - no, these are not like having a demo or trial version... these are specific installs of Windows (outside of MS's hands) that the manufacturers create for their machines. If you have further questions you can shoot me a pm.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:07 AM

View Postfatalpriapism, on 21 August 2012 - 04:15 PM, said:

With all due respect, the torrent in and of itself is only an install package.

Most torrents, especially of Microsoft Software, comes either cracked, or with cracked serial keys. As per Microsoft, if you want their software, then you buy it from them.

The only legitimate torrents are ones released by the software developers, or with release authorization from the developer.

View Posttsotne1990, on 11 August 2012 - 05:14 AM, said:

I read many forums and did not get a competent and accurate answer so I decided to post here.

Likely you are getting the exact same answer everywhere else.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1