2 Replies - 751 Views - Last Post: 11 August 2012 - 05:47 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Cloud Storage Infrastructure

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:00 AM

So presume I am using Apples iCloud, or Dropbox, or any other cloud based storage, when I upload a file it is stored using DAS (Direct-attached storage) on probably about 2-4 (I am guessing) servers. My question, when I choose to download my file how is my query routed to a server that hosts my file rather than one of the other thousand+ servers that do not.

Are they maintaining a database of which servers my file resides on? and then routing queries as appropriate. If so does this not create a bottle neck, overwhelmed at peak times? Or is some other method used?

Thanks

This post has been edited by jammmie999: 11 August 2012 - 05:02 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Cloud Storage Infrastructure

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Cloud Storage Infrastructure

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:21 AM

They are no doubt using a SAN. Our solution uses various SANs for storage. Implementation details like those you seek are -- I believe, I'm not that far back in the back room -- left to the SAN provider.

For example, this.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Cloud Storage Infrastructure

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:47 AM

How those files are striped across the infrastructure? Dropbox uses Amazon S3. Any cloud service will store as much as you like, if you pay for it.

To roll your own: ZFS was an early example. HDFS seems to gaining momentum. There are many more.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1