2 Replies - 716 Views - Last Post: 14 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Beginner here needing some help

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:57 PM

I am just learning to use SQL with the Joes2Pros series which so far I am enjoying very much. I am wanting to create a database for my wife who is a photographer and starting her own business. I am wanting to do something simple for now and create a better one as I learn more. The problem is that I am unsure what kind of simple database I can create for her so am wondering if there is anyone that has created one before for a photographer or something similar that can help give me guidance on creating one that isn't too complex. I appreciate all the help you all can give me. :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Beginner here needing some help

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Beginner here needing some help

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:36 AM

What do you want this database to *DO*? Index photos locally? Index photos web related to display them on a website? Hold contact information for a business? Be some sort of accountant software? A blog or CMS?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Beginner here needing some help

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

Modi's right. You need to know what it is you are trying to store. A database is just a place to store data. You could do all those things that Modi mentioned and more.

For example, your database might store client information. And it might also store photos. You should be thinking in terms of "entities" or tables and the purpose of those tables. What kind of information does that table store. It can't be "photography" information. It needs to be specific and exclusive. For example, clients and photos are two different things even though photos are for clients. The client table shouldn't have photos in it or invoices to the client either. Invoices is a table. Clients is a table. And Photos is a table.

I don't know of anyone who has setup a database specifically for a photographer. Storing photos in a database may be a good way to organize them, although you kind of need to design a front end unless she's going to use T-SQL to pull up the photos and such.

I mean the database is "capable" of storing ALL of the information around the business. So, how to build it is a rather broad question. But the first step is figuring out what you want stored in the database and how you are going to interact with the database such as through Management Studio or through some interface that you build.

Really, if I were doing it I would start with the C# program or whatever it is that I'm using as the front end and then think about how the database will support it on the back end. (Or since I'm a DBA, I might just say "I don't need a front end and I'm just going to use Management Studio to interact with the database. But that's not the sort of thing you do to novice end users. That's just a DBA database to be used only by a DBA.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1