How to succeed in computer science and be good programmer ?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

18 Replies - 14986 Views - Last Post: 27 August 2012 - 03:52 AM

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to succeed in computer science and be good programmer ?

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:49 AM

View Postblankwall, on 22 August 2012 - 10:39 AM, said:

I want to be as good of a programmer as possible. I feel college is just a waste of time. Beyond math I dont find anything useful with college. Yeah english is good for communication skills and will help but as an overall even my comp sci classes are very slow paced and dont offer much you cant learn on your own. I spend a lot of my spare time working on my coding skills and I feel that is the best option for becoming more proficient in programming and leading to the best career opportunities.

It depends on your definition of working on code.

If you're teaching yourself algorithms and advanced data structures, then by all means skip it. If you're not, then you're in for a nightmare come hiring day when you get some NP Complete problems and Algos with a complimentary whiteboard to demonstrate your lack of knowledge.

The main benefit of college is social skills for a Comp Sci. NEVER underestimate the value of social skills, they'll be the determining factor in more than you could ever imagine.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:55 AM

I agree with your statements. What I am trying to say is you cannot rely on college to develop your skills to a point needed to succeed. You need to put some time and effort in outside of your studies.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:44 PM

View Postblankwall, on 22 August 2012 - 10:55 AM, said:

I agree with your statements. What I am trying to say is you cannot rely on college to develop your skills to a point needed to succeed. You need to put some time and effort in outside of your studies.

Perhaps, but College gives you the extra time and areas to plug in at that allow you the social interaction that becomes incredibly difficult to achieve while working full time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:52 AM

Yes, you need to put in extra work to get better. From my experience, I met people and worked in teams with people who knew different things than me, friendships were built and even now, if I am working on something and get stuck, (really stuck, google and books have already been used) I know others who can help me out. Unless you have that already, that could be difficult to come by outside of the college environment. The college classes act as a springboard to get you familiar with the classes, but growth will come when you put in the work and play with it on your own.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +