Oh, and I'm going to try and be a tad original! (You should hymn the pokemon theme as you read this by the way)
I wanna to be the very best, like no one ever was. To learn them all was my test, to use them is my cause.
I will travel across the boards, searching far and wide. Each language to understand, the power that's inside!
(Sadly at this point it proved harder then I thought to change the lyrics to fit my purpose. But you get the idea)
So I'm one of those "kids" (20 now but I refuse to call myself anything else then a kid) that has way to much sparetime which I spend gaming and reading. Somehow this made me get somewhat into programming, at which point I wanted to try my hand at game development. I'm a somewhat realistic person so going to shelf my "Going-to-crush-WoW-MMO-Made-In-A-Week" for now and work on that later. For now I'm more interested in making a 2D game with some features that I want
But I have this one problem, I'm somewhat familiar with C++, Java and C# (As in I can make some crap games in them) But I'm uncertain about which language I should choose to learn more of for the purpose of this game. So instead of going the normal "Which language is best" I'm going to try and list all the things I'm looking after then hope someone could point me in the right direction.
Also about time, I doubt I'll ever get to finish the game they way I want to, not simply because of time. But also patience and technical limits. This is more and learn by doing project where I hope to have some fun while doing it.
The game('s) I want to make are going to be 2D games. Not because I have anything against 3D but I find that 2D games show progress faster and they normally don't require sick graphics. But let's get on with what I'm going to demand from the language!
- There has to be support for efficient drawing of graphics
- I also want to build the game world using a tile system. (I think that's what its called at least. Think Pokemon in terms of movement and map) So an already existing Library would be awesome.
- Support for Online play. Ideally I want the game to end up as a online game, using a server+clients
- A way to create an efficient save system
- It has to run quick! Nothing is more annoying then games with fps spikes
- There has to be books and lots of reference material so I get plenty to read up on.
- A good IDE free and open to the public that supports the language
I think these are the major points, I know some of these are kinda weird. Like the map system with tiles. Seeing how you could most likely write code with most languages to do the job. But I would love a language where I could somewhat skip that part and just use a preexisting library or follow a tutorial to get the job done. Then tweak it afterwards perhaps.
I hope that's enough info to get what I want ;D Any and all additional info that you guys think might be useful would be
awesome! And ask if there is anything you're wondering about!