Getting started

• (3 Pages)
  • +

33 Replies - 3287 Views - Last Post: 19 August 2012 - 03:03 AM Rate Topic: -----

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Getting started

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:16 PM

View Poststayscrisp, on 15 August 2012 - 03:46 PM, said:

This is actually the first time I've heard of AS3. It "may" be better than XNA.

It's not better, it's very different. I just happen to find it pretty interesting at the minute and for quick game dev it's awesome. Especially now you can utilise the GPU. Also, you do know I'm talking about actionscript 3 and flash? You must have heard of it. Being able to easily send your game across to a friend, embed it in a webpage and even package it for mobile is the main reason I like it.

Just as a general musing, why do you like Microsoft so much?

I've heard of Flash, but I have never heard of ActionScript. I somewhat purposefully avoid web development stuff. I just learned CSS a couple of months ago out of sheer necessity. I've steered my career intentionally towards a DBA role and away from professional programming. And I'm still not crazy about anything browser based. I generally like good old fashioned executables running locally. Some of that's old habit, and some of it's a desire for performance. A lot of it's remembering the days when you couldn't do much in a browser. Plus, I'm mainly into 3D games, and I'm not sure that browser games are really up to par for 3D.

Being able to easily send your game across to a friend, embed it in a webpage and even package it for mobile is the main reason I like it.

Those all sound like good reasons to go that route.

I haven't gotten too excited about mobile yet. My tablet computer is a full fledged computer that's more powerful than my work laptop. So, it runs Windows just like a desktop. My cell phone runs Android, and I haven't gotten excited about developing for it enough to learn to program for it. I don't play a lot of games on my cell phone. I've mostly just played Poker and Angry Birds on the cell phone, but have probably spent more time reading books on the cell phone than playing games. I may get into developing for my phone at some point, especially if I could do it in XNA or something that I'm already working with. I "thought" about getting a Windows Phone for that reason, but I think Android is probably better.

There are a lot of reasons that I'm a Microsoft fan. A lot of it's professional in that I've built my career around Microsoft products. I've always had Windows at home because Mac was too expensive. I installed Linux a few times, but in general Linux and Mac didn't run as much software. And so, I built up my music recording studio (Cubase) around Windows and I just never got into any of the other OS's because I always had Windows in the house and it just made since to stick with it since my job was always with various Microsoft products.

And .Net went a long ways towards making me a fan too. I hated VB6 with a passion. But I really like the efficiency and enormous capabilities of the CLR(.Net). And I like it because it's solid, and I don't have low level bug problems and such.

Another reason, I'm a pretty big Microsoft fan is that there have always been more instructional books out there for Microsoft products than for other products, making it the easiest to learn. I dropped out of college. So most of what I know just comes from reading thousands of books. It seems like Microsoft has done a better job of helping people learn than the others (and for me that meant staying employed and getting good jobs).

And then there's XNA, which I absolutely love. That's because there are a lot of XNA books out there to teach you the ins and outs of 3D game programming. I think there are more beginner books for XNA game programming than any other platform. And they tend to be written at a more understandable level than a lot of the C++ stuff that's out there. And they tend to go into far more depth than C++ game programming books do.

I started out trying to learn game programming in C++ and gave up on 3D and just went back to 2D because it was hard enough to learn DirectX even in 2D. Then I went over to XNA and 3D was so easy that I immediately forgot about 2D. And I made far more progress learning game programming than I think I ever would have in C++ with DirectX. Now I'm focusing on game programming rather than trying to figure out all the intricaces of DirectX and how to initialize my graphics card. And I think my XNA books are just a lot better at teaching game programming than the numerous books on game programming that I have for C++. If I ever decide to go back to C++, I think things will make so much more sense to me that they did before. That's partially because I can focus on learning game programming (collision detection algorithms, Level of Detail algorithms, AI, Physics, terrain algorithms, etc.) rather than just spending all my time trying to figure out a bunch of low level details that have little to do with game programming.

So, that's pretty much why I'm all about Microsoft. But I can understand why other people might want to go a different direction.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:28 AM

View Poststayscrisp, on 15 August 2012 - 05:46 PM, said:

It's not better, it's very different. I just happen to find it pretty interesting at the minute and for quick game dev it's awesome. Especially now you can utilise the GPU. Also, you do know I'm talking about actionscript 3 and flash? You must have heard of it. Being able to easily send your game across to a friend, embed it in a webpage and even package it for mobile is the main reason I like it.

If you don't like Flash you can use Flex instead, both use ActionScript for the code behind. I've personally been looking a Flex for a web project and it seems like a good alternative. My other alternative is pure HTML 5 with Javascript. Need to finish another project first though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:53 PM

View Poststayscrisp, on 15 August 2012 - 02:46 PM, said:

Just a quick question relating to AS3 seeing as you have been talking about it so much, are you restricted to browser games when using it for game design?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:03 AM

No, you can use the AIR runtime to enable you to create desktop applications and also deploy to mobiles etc.

http://www.adobe.com...oducts/air.html
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +