• (2 Pages)
  • +

27 Replies - 4233 Views - Last Post: 31 August 2012 - 09:35 AM

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Renting a remote server

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:53 PM

I would've already set up a server at home but my upload speed is crappy and it's already the best internet you can get that far out in the country. Hence I was looking at renting.

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 19 August 2012 - 06:54 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:46 PM

Are you sure about that on speeds?

Have you looked into T-lines, or the business class speeds for the cable?

I'm not sure what kind of bandwidth you plan on pulling on the hosted solution... but the prices may be comparable to some higher quality lines you may be able get at your house.

What kind of bandwidth are you looking at anyway, compared to that of your home?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:03 AM

I've spent many many hours looking for better internet at home; unless I want to pay an insane amount of money(in access of 30k) to run some kind of cable out to my house, be it DSL, T1, or whatever, I'm stuck with something like 50 kbs upload. I want to be able to download at at least 200 kbs so the upload speed is going to need to be greater than that; there is defiantly wiggle room on that but I don't think I'm asking for much.

Currently what I have at home is effectively DSL broadcasted over a radio single from a local COOP(where farmers in the area sell their crops) 6 miles away. the closest town being 6 miles away(where the COOP is) only has 2000 people in it. At night, when no one else that shares bandwidth with me is using it, I can get around 500kbs download; when I got this I pretty much had an orgasm.

Ideally, I want to be able to remotely use the computer; I have no clue what kind of bandwidth and ping I would need for that. My assumption is that I would need be able to stream video so it would depend on the resolution I was streaming. grater ping would mean less responsiveness too.

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 20 August 2012 - 09:08 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#19 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:12 AM

Wait - so you are thinking this remote machine will stream quickly on it's connection and somehow circumvent the slow coop connection you have? That seems... off. You connection is slow to the remote machine regardless of how fast the remote machine streams.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:32 AM

ditto to what modi says

Sounds to me like you need to move. You live in the US bro, and you're a programmer (or at least I assume as this is a programming forum and you're a recognizable member)... move your happy ass 20 miles closer to a damn city and get hooked up for christ sake.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#21 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:33 AM

A network connection is only as fast as it's slowest node.

Bottleneck, ftw.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:34 AM

How is it you're in the last town in the US with out cable television!? (If you have cable television, you should be able to get cable internet)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:46 PM

I'm not in a town, I'm 6 miles form the closest town. And I'm actually planning on accessing this remote computer from places NOT at home sense I'm primarily at going to be in the dorms at college where I have pretty decent internet. I'm *ok* with the internet I have at home but the upload speed limits remotely accessing stuff at home.

However I may have been wrong upload speeds in the specific case I'm talking about.
I did some tests and it seems I can actually upload things from home to my desktop in the dorms at about 100kbs, something I haven't seen in uploading to other places further away. I think I'm going to try setting up something at home and hopefully the speed wont bother me too much.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:58 AM

You're in some town (village or city, depending on your regional definition of each)... you have an address, the address has a town to which you receive mail. You may not be located in the center of said town, but for fuck sake, it's a town none the less.

123 turkey rd, YOUR TOWN'S NAME, Kansas #####

My mother used to live on top of a mountain, 10 miles from the nearest gas station, 15 from nearest town center, and it still was a damn town, and it still had better internet connection then you get (though she didn't use it... bitch couldn't afford heat, let alone computer with internet).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:43 AM

trust me...I've looked for cable. every time we get a decent rain, we can't watch TV becuase we it's from a satellite and for whatever reason, heavy rain blocks the signal. I've looked extensively for cable and check repeatedly. you also have to consider that I'm in a very remote part of Kansas and that Kansas is very sparsely populated in general.

Yes, "Marion" is the town I live in. I'm not in it's city limits but it's what I put for my address sense I'm closest to it.

My download speeds are always between 300kbs-1mb and however. generally I get about 500-600kbs.

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 29 August 2012 - 08:43 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:26 AM

I believe that you have shit tele-communications.

I was only pointing out that you live in a town. And that your town is like one of the last towns with out cable.

When you're in your dorm, why can't you set up the server there? You seem to be trying to make all suggestions given to you more difficult then they are.

Oh, and...

MOVE!

Srsly, everyone I know from Kansas bitches about how crap this, that, and the other is in that state unless you live in the city. Well... simple answer... MOVE TO THE CITY!

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 29 August 2012 - 10:31 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:21 PM

Cost of living in a city is much much higher as compared to being out in the boonies. But the income potential is higher as well, so it's a matter of finding the sweet spot of fulfilling all the "needs" and having enough extra for savings and "wants".

Please remember that prior to the TVA's work even electricity was hard to get at many of the rural towns. Yes, it's over 70 years later now, but it's still some facilities we take for granted in a major city is a luxury elsewhere.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Skydiver: 29 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:35 AM

Yeah, I think we know that... hence my suggestion to move.

He doesn't have to move but maybe 6 miles to get to the internets. By his own admission. Oh wait, he is moving, for university... so why can't he set it up there?

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 31 August 2012 - 09:36 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +