2 Replies - 781 Views - Last Post: 15 August 2012 - 05:54 PM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Red Hat Certifications

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:15 AM

I work for the government on some network based systems. My primary language is C/C++ and the platform is Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL).
RHEL is the worlds most popular Linux operating system for business solutions. I just wanted to know what your thoughts were concerning RHEL certifications. There exists a series of exams to obtain RHEL certifications of expertise. Amongst these are two that seem relevant to my purposes:

1. Red Hat System Administrator (RHCSA)
2. Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE)

Each exam is roughly $400. I believe that my organization can help pay for this and even for the courses to prepare me for the exams. So do these certifications really elevate an individuals resume? Or are they just going to require more time and money? What are your thoughts? Are they necessary, relevant, and useful?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Red Hat Certifications

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Red Hat Certifications

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:57 AM

It sort of depends on what you know now and if you are looking for a job. If you know something that encompasses these certs then it becomes an issue if that paper is worth helping jump your current ship for a new one, right? If you are getting it just to get it.. well I guess that's a feather in your hat but if you are not getting worthwhile information why go for it?

Another thing is do they expire or do you have to retest after so many years?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Red Hat Certifications

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:54 PM

I wouldn't unless the company pays for them.

Most of what I've heard from employers is that certifications are a mask to cover a lack of experience, and many think that people with massive amounts of certifications are only compensating.

To be fair there are multiple sides of this one, but I would have to agree that I see no real point in taking a test. Studying the material and learning from it? Sure.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1