Jumping into 3D Game Development (with Unity 3D)

• (3 Pages)
  • +

33 Replies - 3562 Views - Last Post: 26 August 2012 - 09:10 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Jumping into 3D Game Development (with Unity 3D)

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:15 AM

It's about time that I decide to make the jump from ASCII Game Development to 3D Game Development... you can view my progression with my current game, "Flashlight", in my blog.

Flashlight is a first-person adventure game that involves you wandering through a bizarre and twisted forest, with the only thing with you are the clothes on your back... and your trusty flashlight. No guns to be found here... just true horror as the forest twists and tangles with your every move.

Flashlight was based off the game Slender.

EDIT: It appears that this might be better off in the "Share your Project" thread... if you are a moderator, feel free to move this post there.

This post has been edited by Samkid882: 15 August 2012 - 10:18 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Jumping into 3D Game Development (with Unity 3D)

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Jumping into 3D Game Development (with Unity 3D)

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:52 AM

Moving it.. typically if you are showing your final product pictures, code, video, etc would be helpful.

Seriously.. what ever happened to the other thirty games you were "developing"? What was their end result? Is there any solid proof they even existed more than just vaporware lists? Where's the conclusion of one project before you go barreling off into another?

I guess nothing I've said about slowing down and actually completing something sank in. Pity.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:41 AM

Also, you're 14. Dealing with 3D graphics and gravity requires some physics, calculus, and linear algebra. How much of this math do you understand?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:08 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 15 August 2012 - 01:41 PM, said:

Also, you're 14. Dealing with 3D graphics and gravity requires some physics, calculus, and linear algebra. How much of this math do you understand?

Just because I'm 14 doesn't mean that I can't learn these sort of things. You really can't judge a person by their age... not saying you are, but I just wanted to point that out there.

Anyway, I will learn what is only needed to learn to make basic 3D games, it's not like I'm trying to make a clone of Crysis XD

View Postmodi123_1, on 15 August 2012 - 12:52 PM, said:

Moving it.. typically if you are showing your final product pictures, code, video, etc would be helpful.

Seriously.. what ever happened to the other thirty games you were "developing"? What was their end result? Is there any solid proof they even existed more than just vaporware lists? Where's the conclusion of one project before you go barreling off into another?

I guess nothing I've said about slowing down and actually completing something sank in. Pity.

I am a newbie programmer, and as a newbie, I like to express my ideas. I will go back and create those games eventually... maybe...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:14 PM

Just because I'm 14 doesn't mean that I can't learn these sort of things. You really can't judge a person by their age... not saying you are, but I just wanted to point that out there.

Typically 14 year old aren't exposed to Calculus. You're probably in the 8th or 9th grade, so you'll probably be taking high school geometry or algebra. That's a good couple years off from Calculus. Certainly there are people that learn these things on your own. Hence, before I form my judgement, I'm asking you how much of this you have learned and understand. I've seen a lot of this math myself now, and I know I would have been a tad overwhelmed by it at 14.

I am a newbie programmer, and as a newbie, I like to express my ideas. I will go back and create those games eventually... maybe...

The typical "I'm going to talk about making WoW in a week to garner attention" phase.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

Well, I've yet to really run into any problems with my 3D game, with the exception of the sound of the players footsteps (which is fixed now, but can be improved). If you look at the game Slender, which is where the inspiration for this game came from, it's rather basic. I don't think I'll need to have any fancy, rocket science equations in my code for a simple game like this. Like I said before, it's not like I'm trying to recreate Crysis lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:37 PM

Gotcha.. I'll then dial back my interest to about every other month.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:40 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 15 August 2012 - 02:37 PM, said:

Gotcha.. I'll then dial back my interest to about every other month.

Aw, there's no need to do that! I'll still work on those games you've been waiting for, but right now I just feel like focusing all of my time with Flashlight...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:56 PM

You don't quite get it. Yes, there's the main issue of completing a game.. but the main point is it should be any of those games.. just.. get one.. that and your blog updates are just shopping lists.. there's no meat to how or why or what you even are doing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:58 PM

I do get what you are saying, and I will try extra hard to get Flashlight finished :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:02 PM

I found a rant online about people wanting to make MMORPGs with little understanding of what goes into them. I think this applies here. See this page.

I also found this DIC link on my Google search. It's definitely applicable as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:05 PM

Just because Flashlight is a 3D game doesn't mean it's as complex as an MMO... if I'm reading your post correctly, so correct me if I'm reading it incorrectly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:07 PM

The point is that you don't have any substantial programming experience and you're trying to build complex 3D games with no actual progress. All of those points apply, the situation here is just slightly different.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

If I'm not working on 3D games, how would I get better at making 3D games? My game is really, really simple. It's just about the player walking through a creepy forest...

Of course I'll expand upon that, maybe add a bit of story to it... but I need to have more experience first, and of course, to do that will include the process of trying, failing, trying again, failing again... and so on until my idea runs successfully.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

If I'm not working on 3D games, how would I get better at making 3D games?

As you've been told repeatedly in your other threads, start by learning to program before jumping into 3D games. Could you make a console rock-paper-scissors game, a guessing game, blackjack? If so, what about basic graphical games like pong, tetris, pacman? Start small, challenge yourself a little, learn, and succeed. Don't simply bite off more than you can chew.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +