Jumping into 3D Game Development (with Unity 3D)

• (3 Pages)
  • +

33 Replies - 3343 Views - Last Post: 26 August 2012 - 09:10 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Jumping into 3D Game Development (with Unity 3D)

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:03 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 18 August 2012 - 03:02 PM, said:

It's more like any-general-forum 101 info.

well, this is the first forum I've ever signed up on, so... ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:04 PM

Now you know.. and knowing is half the battle.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:07 AM

I have, like many others, learned from bitter experience. From what it sounds like, is that you are already a better programmer than I am, but I can tell you one thing, and that is that you really should see your projects through.

I've started myself, on doing many things, everything from collecting and painting Warhammer 40k figures to 3D Modelling to Chiptuning on a Gameboy, and from not seeing any of them through, it ended with me having spent a ton of resources, and having lots of stuff laying around, that remind me that I didn't see it through. It's important to do some of the goals that you set, instead of abandoning it, for whatever reason.

If you ran into a wall with ASCII games or 2D development, then I would suggest doing more research on the topic, and talking with more experienced developers. Reading books about it, is also a good thing.

Unity 3D is a really good tool, for developers that has an idea and wants to create it, without being super experts at programming. I'm trying to get into Unity 3D myself, and I am eagerly learning C# along with my school (Which is web code). However you don't get to delve as deeply into the programming as you otherwise would. For instance C++ isn't memory managed like C# is, and it is much closer to the hardware. That means you can write (Correct me if I am wrong) code that runs faster, and can create better results with less hardware. However it also requires a lot of pratice and experience, since C++ feels quite a bit different, to one coming from Java and C# like I do.

Besides all this, then I must say that I am impressed with how far that you have come, at 14 years. Hell, I wish that I knew half of what you know at 14.

TL;DR With Unity 3D, you avoid a lot of the common programming practices, that are important to learn.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:10 PM

I hope i can shine my own light on this issue.

You say "If I'm not working on 3D games, how would I get better at making 3D games?" Well, you have to build yourself up first. At 14, personally, the OOP concepts alone would boggle my mind. I recommend building 2D games, and learn more about computer science. If your thinking that you will never work your way up from 2D to 3D then thats not true. I built a 2D game in allegro(My 2D Game) to dip my feet in c++ because i came from a java background. A month later i made my first real 3D game(My 3D Game). I wanted to jump into 3D and dispense with the 2D nonsense, but i knew i had to walk before i could run. And Macos has a great point, i see a lot of gibber gabber amongst your blogs and writings. I would love to see some real code.

I try to tackle each new topic with a project (ei: 2D game, 3D game, GLSL, Models....) Currently, im working on Shaders(GLSL) in Opengl. As for as math requirements go, i would love to see someone write a shader without experience in Linear Algebra. With Algebra being a prerequisite for Linear Algebra, you can see how this starts to stack up.

My advice at your stage is to take it easy, your only 14, learn some Computer Science concepts and builds some 2D games.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +