3 Replies - 1917 Views - Last Post: 15 August 2012 - 03:14 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

3D Game Engine programming

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:31 PM

Hi!
I'm new to this forum and this is my first topic. :smile2:
For a long time I've been trying to create my own 3D Game Engine using C++. Is that possible? Can someone direct me where should I start? I'm not exactly aiming for a engine like CryEngine or UDK, but it should be a decent program. I'm ready to work on it for years if it takes that long, that is my long term goal. I have all the theoretical knowledge needed, but even if I don't, I'm ready to learn new things and I'm not starting this project, until everything is planned. Please direct me, where should I start?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: 3D Game Engine programming

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: 3D Game Engine programming

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:32 PM

Odd question - why are you building a 3d game engine?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:35 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 15 August 2012 - 02:32 PM, said:

Odd question - why are you building a 3d game engine?

I have experience in game programming so I wanted to try something new... :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:14 PM

<sarcasm>
I too have experience in game programming. I've written tic-tac-toe, blackjack, battleship, mastermind, 4 square, othello, bridge, a Space Invaders like game, a Frogger like game, and a Choplifter like game. I need to move up to the next level and try something new. Hmmm. What next? I know! A full 3D game engine complete with cross platform support, shaders, fonts, sprites, billboards, particle engines, collision detection, lighting, physics, sound, music, networking, and input management should fit the bill.
</sarcasm>

Seriously, if you are writing a game engine to learn new things, have at it. Chances are that you'll learn more by examining the implementation of other people's game engines. The more mature ones have been put together by people who have already learned from the mistakes of others. To get a good feel for what those more mature engines are doing and why they are doing it, picking up a basic book about game engine design will probably help you the most since it will have the key concepts you'll need.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1