1 Replies - 1694 Views - Last Post: 27 August 2012 - 06:55 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Access Levels

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:56 AM

Hello Dream.In.Code Users

I've been working on a small project recently and I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on the topic I'm sort of stuck at.

The project I'm working on is basically a user management system for a website. I'm using PHP as my scripting language, and MySQL as my database. Now the problem I've run into is as follows.

A user will register by entering his/her information into a form I've built. When the user registers his/her information will go into a table called users. This will hold basic user registration information such as first name, last name, password and, the field in the problem, ACCESS_LEVEL.

There is another table that is already populated that contains the people who he wants the system to really interact with, the table is virtually identical to the user table but this one, like I said before, is already populated with people's information.

Now here's the scoop my boss wants the registration system to give a specific access level to someone if they are already in the other database. Example: If I was already in the other database and I registered, the system would see me already in that database and grant me an access level. This is all said and good, and I pretty much understand how I would implement this.

What I'm asking the Dream.In.Code community for is their opinions on this, is this efficient, does this make sense, etc. I'm pretty much a one man team and all the advice help and opinions I can get would be extremely helpful.

Thanks alot,
Nerdthon123

This post has been edited by nerdthon123: 16 August 2012 - 09:00 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Access Levels

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Access Levels

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:55 AM

Hello nerdthon123,

If I had to do that I would interrogate the existing user table when registering new users. If the user is in the table, I would copy the ACCESS_LEVEL field to the new user table (the effective one, used by the system). I don't know if it is the best solution, but I would do it like that.

Though you've to be really careful of the people that are registering and their identification. I hope the identification is email based (with verification by email) or something safe like that, or you might introduce a big security breach.

Regards,
Trend-Bgi
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1