6 Replies - 6522 Views - Last Post: 19 September 2012 - 05:47 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

network diagram

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:44 AM

hi i am task to draw a network diagram of a company of 40 computers for my assignment. which convert current 100mbs Ethernet to a gigabit network system.
wat i have now is. i drew a internet connected to a modem then to a Gigibit router then computer.
or should i just draw a diagram that shows internet then connect to a gigabit routher then computer will do?

my question is : is a modem a must in between? or should i jus draw the Gigabit routher connecting to the router? i search the google diagram, some show and some don. so i donno which is wrong.
if i draw the modem inside, what is the purpose? of having a modem

This post has been edited by chenaz: 16 August 2012 - 10:01 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: network diagram

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: network diagram

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:25 AM

some routers have modems built in---find a router that has the modem built in and just use that. If you cant find one you need to draw the modem. I am guessing this is to show how a network is formed for a class and if so you need to show all the detail.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:03 AM

View PostDarenR, on 16 August 2012 - 10:25 AM, said:

some routers have modems built in---find a router that has the modem built in and just use that. If you cant find one you need to draw the modem. I am guessing this is to show how a network is formed for a class and if so you need to show all the detail.

ic thanks so much. i tink i will be using those router with wireless function and build in modem. there is such modem router right?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:02 PM

So you're converting a 100M backbone system to a Gigabit? Why would you even need a modem? Depending on the type of internet feed it's rather useless.

Now if we're talking fiber, coax cable, dsl, or (lord forbid) dialup you'll need some form of modem to transfer media unless the router has a media converter built into it. It all depends on what you're sourcing. I would hope it's fiber or a T-class line, because serving 40 corporate class computers with gigabit wire would be completely useless without it.

Most standard cat5e cable can run gigabit, but the question is more of what would you even do with it? Internal network transfers perhaps, but with 40 computers a 100M connection is more than enough unless there's some serious lifting going on there.

Now as far as actually laying out the network, I'm not one to do someones homework for them, that's up to you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:17 AM

View PostLemur, on 16 August 2012 - 07:02 PM, said:

So you're converting a 100M backbone system to a Gigabit? Why would you even need a modem? Depending on the type of internet feed it's rather useless.

Now if we're talking fiber, coax cable, dsl, or (lord forbid) dialup you'll need some form of modem to transfer media unless the router has a media converter built into it. It all depends on what you're sourcing. I would hope it's fiber or a T-class line, because serving 40 corporate class computers with gigabit wire would be completely useless without it.

Most standard cat5e cable can run gigabit, but the question is more of what would you even do with it? Internal network transfers perhaps, but with 40 computers a 100M connection is more than enough unless there's some serious lifting going on there.

Now as far as actually laying out the network, I'm not one to do someones homework for them, that's up to you.

hi thanks for pointing out that. but the assignment requirement want us to convert into a gigabit network. i also not sure which wire i am using. i doubt i need to explain it.

and to access company network. VPN is the only solution right?
question of assignment

(1) To implement a Gigabit LAN for each office which will replaces the current 100Mbps Ethernet network.

(2) To implement wireless access to disseminate the pickup and delivery schedules, and to update the company headquarter file server with package collection and delivery information in order to provide real time tracking of the packages.

(3) To Identify and evaluate the state-of-art Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) network mechanisms for package collection and delivery information to provide real time searching, tracking of the packages and updating of inventory in the company headquarter file server.

(4) To Identify and evaluate the state-of-art Biometrics Technologies authentication mechanisms that will allow remote access to the company network for staffs using their tablets and smart phones.

(5) To link up all the office networks together on to a backbone network to exchange high volume of data on a frequent basis.

(6) To include further network infrastructure at the Company Headquarters to accommodate an additional 20 computers and to set up a web server in order to establish a corporate website.

(7) To implement a WAN for all the offices to automate the high volume data transfer between all the other offices and with the Company Headquarter offices’ networks.

(8) To provide a high bandwidth platform for collaboration application like groupware, Voice over IP (VoIP) and Video Conferencing with the Company Headquarters and other offices. Control of ongoing costs is important so various systems have been proposed. One involves a webcam per Personal Computer, another central conferencing room at each site. One problem that must be overcome is the time difference between different parts of the world.

(9) To identify and resolve key issues relating to network security for the company.

As a network project consultant, your responsibility is to produce the documentation with the following details: A blue print of WAN with detailed LAN diagrams, description of all the components used in network inclusive of communication media and security issues involved. You are also need to discuss about the simple security measures have to be followed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:49 PM

View Postchenaz, on 17 August 2012 - 04:17 AM, said:

hi thanks for pointing out that. but the assignment requirement want us to convert into a gigabit network. i also not sure which wire i am using. i doubt i need to explain it.

Cat6 cable can handle it, though for the most part Cat5E should be more than able. Cat6 is just more of a future-proof solution if you will.

question of assignment

Well it is one solution, and there are several on the subject of remote access methods. Look into OpenVPN, Samba, NFS, NIS, LDAP, ActiveDirectory, and some other solutions for enterprise grade management.

(1) To implement a Gigabit LAN for each office which will replaces the current 100Mbps Ethernet network.

See above

(2) To implement wireless access to disseminate the pickup and delivery schedules, and to update the company headquarter file server with package collection and delivery information in order to provide real time tracking of the packages.

Look into ticket tracking systems, barcodes, and readers.

(3) To Identify and evaluate the state-of-art Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) network mechanisms for package collection and delivery information to provide real time searching, tracking of the packages and updating of inventory in the company headquarter file server.

See above, or look into RFID (which is infinitely more expensive.)

(4) To Identify and evaluate the state-of-art Biometrics Technologies authentication mechanisms that will allow remote access to the company network for staffs using their tablets and smart phones.

...They're really paranoid aren't they? Unfortunately biometrics are more or less a joke at this point unless someone's been cooking some enterprise grade versions of what's popping up on consumer grade equipment.

You'd be safer with preshared keys and SSH authentication with OpenVPN.

(5) To link up all the office networks together on to a backbone network to exchange high volume of data on a frequent basis.

Fiber works wonders here, and check into VPN based solutions again. 4G hotspots might be of some interest as well.

(6) To include further network infrastructure at the Company Headquarters to accommodate an additional 20 computers and to set up a web server in order to establish a corporate website.

If you made it right in the first place, scaling is no issue. As far as web servers, NginX is an up and coming star in the server world and it has some pretty good power to back it up.

(7) To implement a WAN for all the offices to automate the high volume data transfer between all the other offices and with the Company Headquarter offices’ networks.

They love repeating themselves and using buzzwords don't they?

(8) To provide a high bandwidth platform for collaboration application like groupware, Voice over IP (VoIP) and Video Conferencing with the Company Headquarters and other offices. Control of ongoing costs is important so various systems have been proposed. One involves a webcam per Personal Computer, another central conferencing room at each site. One problem that must be overcome is the time difference between different parts of the world.

This is more of a scheduling issue than anything, and again if you have a sturdy backbone you can pile quite a few services over it without issues. Scalability is key.

(9) To identify and resolve key issues relating to network security for the company.

SSH and Public Keys, no public wifi, DMZ, VLANs, Trunk switches, LDAP, Kerberos, AD, and the occasional twit that writes his passwords down and posts it under the keyboard.

As a network project consultant, your responsibility is to produce the documentation with the following details: A blue print of WAN with detailed LAN diagrams, description of all the components used in network inclusive of communication media and security issues involved. You are also need to discuss about the simple security measures have to be followed.

...simple? If you have something a hacker wants simple will be the death of you or at very least your credibility. Good thing you're a consultant.

Regardless, that should give you a base from which to work from. It's not exactly answering the questions, because in order to document this you're going to need some good background in most if not all of the above protocols which will put you well on your way.

If anything, I've made this harder on you.

Best of luck, and feel free to ask if you get stuck.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:47 PM

I'm getting that this is a network topology specific type assignment...

View PostLemur, on 17 August 2012 - 03:49 PM, said:

Cat6 cable can handle it, though for the most part Cat5E should be more than able. Cat6 is just more of a future-proof solution if you will.

The key factor here is having Gigabit switches/routers. The cable won't matter if the switches/routers can't handle Gigabit.

question of assignment

Well it is one solution, and there are several on the subject of remote access methods. Look into OpenVPN, Samba, NFS, NIS, LDAP, ActiveDirectory, and some other solutions for enterprise grade management.

My impression here is leaning towards VPN (and possibly OpenVPN, assuming its a public version of VPN)
In a network topology map, they are looking for the devices that will connect the remote devices.

See above

See above and remember the Gigabit router/switches.

Look into ticket tracking systems, barcodes, and readers.

Network topologies are going to be looking more for HOW the wireless devices will connect into the network to relay the requested data. Outbound data (the disseminating schedules) should be relatively easy but can be kept secure (the key I'm seeing with this scenario) so I'm going to lean towards VPN connections again. Possibly webserver protocols (HTTPS,FTPS, etc) will work here.

See above, or look into RFID (which is infinitely more expensive.)

Barcode scanning devices with GPS modules connected via a secure method (look at previous question). Think UPS/FEDEx, etc with this one.

...They're really paranoid aren't they? Unfortunately biometrics are more or less a joke at this point unless someone's been cooking some enterprise grade versions of what's popping up on consumer grade equipment.

You'd be safer with preshared keys and SSH authentication with OpenVPN.

RADIUS server (or similar technology) If this is a Windows based class, RADIUS with AD is most likely what they are looking for in an answer. (Biometrics support is built into the software for AD/RADIUS)

Fiber works wonders here, and check into VPN based solutions again. 4G hotspots might be of some interest as well.

If the offices are close enough to run the cable, Fiber could work here, tho long distances I would lean towards VPN over whatever trunk we're dealing with here (assuming some form of high-speed link to the net(T1/T3/etc - higher bandwidth connections)

If you made it right in the first place, scaling is no issue. As far as web servers, NginX is an up and coming star in the server world and it has some pretty good power to back it up.

For network topologies, routers/switches necessary to provide the additional ports if necessary, and a firewall for the webserver (web server software won't matter on network topology map) , best case scenario VLAN the webserver behind the firewall.

They love repeating themselves and using buzzwords don't they?

VPN again likely here, although the WAN part seems to be asking for something like a microwave connection even though those are astronomically expensive last I heard. (I would stick with a VPN over backbone as with #5 above)

This is more of a scheduling issue than anything, and again if you have a sturdy backbone you can pile quite a few services over it without issues. Scalability is key.

Scheduling mainly for the time difference. Routers can generally handle the H.323 protocols of video conferencing/VOIP, but they could be looking for specific hardware here. (I tend to lean towards a Gigabit router than can handle the H.323 tho)

SSH and Public Keys, no public wifi, DMZ, VLANs, Trunk switches, LDAP, Kerberos, AD, and the occasional twit that writes his passwords down and posts it under the keyboard.

Mostly what Lemur said with some mindfulness over the physical possession (and loss of) wireless devices for package tracking and such.

...simple? If you have something a hacker wants simple will be the death of you or at very least your credibility. Good thing you're a consultant.

Regardless, that should give you a base from which to work from. It's not exactly answering the questions, because in order to document this you're going to need some good background in most if not all of the above protocols which will put you well on your way.

Simple security measures like no Post-it's with passwords, change passwords every how often necessary but every month at least. No allowing others on a computer you are signed into. and cross-shredding anything potentially confidential. Stuff like that. Lemur is correct though in that hackers will get through if they work hard enough at it.

I've cut a good number of protocols down I believe sticking with VPN as a network topology map can't really represent a good number of protocols as much as the hardware to support those protocols (generally restricted to firewalls and devices that support VPN/H.323/(HTTPS/FTPS if you choose to go the web access way)/etc.

The primary focus is that we are dealing with a network topology map so it is focused on the hardware/backbone support of the network.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1