3 Replies - 1965 Views - Last Post: 16 August 2012 - 06:27 PM

• Java Enthusiast
  • member icon

• View blog

My new blog

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:51 PM

Well, some of you may know I have been working on a browser-based RPG for some time now. So I decided that I would create a blog so I could have an official place for people to follow the development.

I am still working on styling the site but tell me what you think of the theme so far:

http://www.richardsprojects.net/blog
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: My new blog

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: My new blog

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

Can't say I am fond of it. The header graphic is weird and too "artsy" for me. Not exactly fond of the burnt orange with yellow scheme either. Some say Verdana is a good font on the web but maybe if it has the right spacing etc. The lettering on the screen seems a little too condensed.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:21 PM

Remember that the purpose of background and supporting elements is not to draw attention, but to direct flow. At this point the yellow border draws attention, and therefore detracts from the overall flow and readability of the site.

The white text in the header isn't very readable towards the middle. I would work on redesigning the header image and picking a better font.

http://fontsquirrel.com

The typical rule of thumb for web typography is to use Sans Serif, Slab Serif, or Script for headers and Serif fonts for content. Notice that books use serif fonts, this is because they have far less strain on the eyes and flow far more easily than their sans counterparts.

The hierarchy needs work as well. The headers are barely distinguished from the text, and whitespace needs to be increased around the headers. Remember that whitespace is your friend and should be used liberally. I would also decrease the size of the main body text.

Overall the weakness is typography, layout, and color. Improve those three and the site will be well on its way.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:27 PM

Yeah dude, something is off with the color screen, my eyes feel something. Also, minor stuff, DragonCraft is mispelled on the Screenshots page and I can see "Someone's Blue Theme" on the bottom of the page. Hey, you're on Twitter. I'll follow the game there. ^^
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1