4 Replies - 792 Views - Last Post: 18 August 2012 - 07:21 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Grad school or continue working.

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:44 AM

Let me give some back story.

I had an internship last summer at a great development company coding handheld inventory systems. Over the course of my last school year I interviewed with a fortune 500 company and was given an offer I literally could not refuse. The job description stated I would be developing business applications. Which sounded great, I was still coding and would be interested in doing work. Twp weeks prior to my start date they filled the position I was supposed to start at and put me in a different department. The department I am in does zero coding. We support applications that other departments developed. (ie. Give users access)

Back in March my one professor took a group of students to a university where he used to teach at. I was one of the students he took. The whole point if the trip was to go to grad school (obviously) and for us to find out information on their tuition waived grad progams.

The company I work for will pay for grad school, however they do not say how long you must stay for. I wouldnt mind staying if I was in a position where I was coding. I have tried transfering to a diffetent department but I am in a new hire program that requires employees to stay in their department for two years. I feel like this is a dead end job for me. My coworkers have said they havent coded since college (there are a lot of lifers at this company). I don't want that yo happen to me.

Recently I spoke with my professor and he told me it would be possible to get into the grad program he took us to for the spring '13 semester. I've been getting in contact with people from the univetsity to find out more specific.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a situation like this? I would no longer be working in the spring, however there is a large chance to obtain either a research assistant or TA position.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Grad school or continue working.

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Grad school or continue working.

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:15 AM

Big question up front - what do you think you'll get with grad school? To what end does that stepping stone help you? What are you post Masters plans?

Second, Masters in what?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:24 AM

I should have specified, the Masters would be in Computer Science concentrating mainly on algorithms.

Honestly, I feel as though even after receiving an undergrad degree I'm still lacking in some areas. Of course those areas were areas of interest to me. I think that graduate school can help me gain a knowledge base within the areas I am interested in (mainly algorithms).

Post graduate school - As i'm sure this will be cliche, but I would like to obtain a job that I am enjoying the work that I do. However, I want a job that challenges me. My current jo does not challenege me. Uploading excel workbooks into an application is not challanging neither is clicking a grant access button ten times a day.

All-in-all I'd like to be more educated and happier with what I have learned.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:37 AM

Post graduate school - As i'm sure this will be cliche, but I would like to obtain a job that I am enjoying the work that I do. However, I want a job that challenges me.

What I mean is do you plan on academics and research or actually work in the business world?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:21 PM

I thought I wanted Grad School until I got a job that allowed me to code. I was short in so many areas that I just had no inspiration to look into or learn, and when it became a requirement my skills took off.

The pay raises for getting a Masters degree may be worth it, or it may be less than so if it puts you into debt further.

I would consult various professors and ask for their opinions on the matter, let them know your situation. I've found that they have some pretty keen knowledge, even if people never really give them credit for it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1