11 Replies - 1029 Views - Last Post: 18 August 2012 - 07:56 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Learning to Program C++

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:09 AM

So I finally decided to delve into the semicolon-y world of programming. My main goal is web development beyond HTML/CSS, so down the road I'm sure I'll be getting into PHP and JS.

As of right now, I am learning C++ through a combination of google, youtube, and a couple textbooks.

To those more educated and seasoned than I - is C++ a good base language for web development and the occasional game development project with a friend? What other languages should I have a base in (not necessarily mastery, just a foundation)?

Any tips/advice or perhaps good tutorials for a programming novice? The one I am going through on youtube is good, but there aren't any "here, try to do a code for this now that you know the basics of it".

Any words of wisdom are appreciated :)

FP

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Learning to Program C++

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Learning to Program C++

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:01 AM

Actually... C++ is the worst choice for web based development.

Here's why:
  • All network code, thread code is OS Sepecific
  • It doesn't have any mechanisms to make HTML page generation easier (like C# has ASP, Java has JSP, I think Perl, Python have commands to help with printing large amounts of text)
  • The only way to host custom C++ is to go with the most expensive hosting options
  • The examples are for embedded web servers. Generally these are very stripped down functionality (like they aren't concerned with growth)

Don't get me wrong, C++ is my favorite langauge. But for web development there are far better choices.

What I would do is go look at several cheap hosting sites and see what languages they support (I am assuming you are going to want to host whatever you learn). Then look at some example code for each of those langauges and see which one looks 'prettier' to you. Whichever one that is, go learn.

Salindor
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:25 AM

Semicolons? Ruby: no semicolons. Freedom. (Well, rather implied semicolons unless you want to jam a bunch of statements on one line.)

Ruby is a great starter language, you get up and running fast. It's a full Development, Scripting, and even Web language (Rails, Sinatra, etc.)

Rails is, to me, everything php wasn't. It was clean, concise, and took 90% of the headaches out of SQL (ORM - Object Relational Mapping.) Rails was designed to streamline Web Dev and get projects up faster. It's definitely worth a look into.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:36 PM

wow. this shows you how much research people do before asking questions. yeah.. c++ is awesome for web dev.

This post has been edited by darek9576: 18 August 2012 - 06:36 PM

Was This Post Helpful? -4
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:53 PM

Dear mr darek, if I wanted to hear from an asshole, I would fart.

To the other replies- thanks. I work on an occasional small game project, hence learning C++ at the moment ( seems silly since the current project I'm helping with is in C#).

I currently have forums and sites hosted online, so I'll take a look at what they support besides PHP/SQL.

Any good tut sites for getting an introduction with these languages?
Was This Post Helpful? -4
  • +
  • -

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:57 PM

Whoa, take it easy on the language/coments, this isn't the "Lounge"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:06 PM

View Postdarek9576, on 18 August 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

wow. this shows you how much research people do before asking questions. yeah.. c++ is awesome for web dev.

You can use C++ for Web Dev but it's incredibly slow. The purpose of the web is to be dynamic, flexible, and fast. While compiled languages may in fact be faster, the difference is negligible in comparison to the expense and time of development that would have to be suffered through to get it done in that manner. A professional Rails Dev could easily make several sites before a C++ Dev would have half of one finished.

It's a matter of preference, but even then I think it's an abysmal undertaking for something that quite frankly is overkill. I suppose a Rocket Launcher would be a more effective tool for self defense, but a handgun would be far far more practical and less unweildy (and for that matter less messy...)

I see C++ for Web Dev as an esoteric venture, or a just because I can type of thing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:17 PM

View PostLemur, on 18 August 2012 - 05:25 PM, said:

Rails is, to me, everything php wasn't. It was clean, concise, and took 90% of the headaches out of SQL (ORM - Object Relational Mapping.) Rails was designed to streamline Web Dev and get projects up faster. It's definitely worth a look into.

To be fair, you're kind of comparing apples and oranges there. PHP is a language, much like Ruby is a language. Rails is a Ruby framework, much like Zend, Symfony, CakePHP, Codeigniter, etc... are PHP frameworks.

For example, as you mention ORM, Symfony2 comes standard with Doctrine ORM, and it too streamlines much of the common web dev stuff for you. (As do many of the others.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:23 PM

View PostAtli, on 18 August 2012 - 09:17 PM, said:

View PostLemur, on 18 August 2012 - 05:25 PM, said:

To be fair, you're kind of comparing apples and oranges there. PHP is a language, much like Ruby is a language. Rails is a Ruby framework, much like Zend, Symfony, CakePHP, Codeigniter, etc... are PHP frameworks.

For example, as you mention ORM, Symfony2 comes standard with Doctrine ORM, and it too streamlines much of the common web dev stuff for you. (As do many of the others.)

Granted. Let me clarify that one.

I prefer the syntax and the way the language flows as compared to PHP. It just feels cleaner to me, and easier to read quickly. Even without Rails, I prefer its syntax.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:32 PM

View PostGunnerInc, on 18 August 2012 - 06:57 PM, said:

Whoa, take it easy on the language/coments, this isn't the "Lounge"

Simply expressing my lack of appreciation for his reply :) My apologies to everyone else
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:37 PM

We have a report button where you can do that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:56 PM

Duly noted :D
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1