Question: Can you forget a language ?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

21 Replies - 4227 Views - Last Post: 04 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Question: Can you forget a language ?

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:40 AM

I have one more question related on this :
Is it a good thing that I chose to use C# for desktop application development and C++ for game development ? since as I previously said desktop applications should be made faster and don't need that much performance and games can take more time as long as they run smooth or are there other pitfalls that I'm not aware about ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:28 AM

Not really. C#'s a great desktop language and translates well if you want to sample XNA. C++ seems to be the de facto language for the game industry but not the only language.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:55 AM

Cheers !
Thanks for all the time you put on helping me :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Your Friendly Local Curmudgeon
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

View PostTwoOfDiamonds, on 18 August 2012 - 11:44 AM, said:

Hello !
I started learning C# few days ago and it's working great with the basics so far since I already know C++ to a certain extent . Also, I am learning by Charles Petzold's .NET Book Zero which was written precisely for C++ to C# move .
However , I am wondering , has it ever happened to you to forget a previously learned language while learning a new one ? or mixing syntax , anything like that :)

I think my Paradox for DOS skills have somewhat eroded since the early 90's. :) And yeah, I mix syntax all the darn time. Forget semicolons on C# code (changed over from VB6), comment out T-SQL code with ', etc. It's normal.

I still remember coming from a German class in college, right to my next class in French and taking a test. I couldn't remember "Au revoir" because "Auf Wiedersehen" kept coming into my head. They both mean "goodbye" and both begin with Au, see. (I let it go, came back to it later, and there it was, sitting right there in my brain, of course. But it was pretty irritating for a bit. :) )

This post has been edited by BobRodes: 02 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

BobRodes said:

I still remember coming from a German class in college, right to my next class in French and taking a test. I couldn't remember "Au revoir" because "Auf Wiedersehen" kept coming into my head.

For my senior year of high school, I was taking fifth-year Spanish and first-year German, back to back. I had this problem every day! Fortunately, ich habe los dos Sprache ganz bien gelernt y ahora kann ich niemals solche engaños machen!

This post has been edited by jon.kiparsky: 02 December 2012 - 10:31 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 03 December 2012 - 07:29 AM, said:

BobRodes said:

I still remember coming from a German class in college, right to my next class in French and taking a test. I couldn't remember "Au revoir" because "Auf Wiedersehen" kept coming into my head.

For my senior year of high school, I was taking fifth-year Spanish and first-year German, back to back. I had this problem every day! Fortunately, ich habe los dos Sprache ganz bien gelernt y ahora kann ich niemals solche engaños machen!

I think the same happened to these guys xD

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Your Friendly Local Curmudgeon
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 02 December 2012 - 11:29 PM, said:

BobRodes said:

Ausgezeichnet. Sehr drôle. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +