• (2 Pages)
  • +

18 Replies - 2890 Views - Last Post: 09 September 2012 - 07:19 PM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Stability of Linux

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:37 PM

Linux Mint 13 (Cinnamon) and Ubuntu are extremely stable and usable. If you care about desktop environments, Mint's Cinnamon is a perfect mix of clean elegance you might expect from Ubuntu with a traditional desktop feel that KDE offers (without the need to customize at all). It's the closest to Windows 7 usability (and don't deny it - Windows 7 is downright intuitive, especially if you've used it extensively) I've found in any Linux distro. If you want something that just works and is usable out of the box, Linux Mint is the go-to distribution. It almost makes you forget you're using Linux (which could be good or bad... in the worst case, it makes you long for KDE or XFCE, but I find myself gravitating back to Cinnamon for its usability).

Arch isn't bad, but it's obviously not good if you're looking for a great OS right out of the box. Pacman might be worth giving it a try, though. Some people are in love with Arch, but even Linus Torvalds thinks distributions should be easy to use, because that's what they're made for. I totally agree.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

I never really had a problem with Ubuntu/Mint. That said, I haven't really used it much since the 12.04 came out. I've gone back to running Windows 7 because of program compatibility when I'm doing web development.

That, and since the majority of my customer base uses Windows, remote connect is pretty great when it works and it always helps being able to navigate them to a file over the phone while I look at it.

Back to Linux. I have a CD case with about a dozen different Linux install discs. I can't say that any one of them has been faulty to the point that it forced me to quit using it. The convenience and availability of Windows usually prevails. Plus, I love using a "community" copy of Windows and knowing that I didn't pay the $1 each copy of the OS actually costs them (plus $100-200 for the nametag).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:00 AM

A "community" copy? :P

I'm pretty fortunate - when I need to install Windows, I can just ask my dad. His old company gave him a full on developer's license, so a Windows Ultimate install is no big deal.

Pretty soon I'll have to install Windows on my laptop again, which means the end of 2 months of pure Linux. Unfortunately Wine isn't good enough for Guild Wars 2, and I recently learned that the clock speed of a processor hardly matters. My processor is extremely slow but labeled with a speed of like 3.4GHz, and I had to play a modern game to figure that out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:19 PM

I would give crunchbang a try, it is simple, low resource, has a nice window system(openbox) and package manager(apt).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +