1 Replies - 536 Views - Last Post: 19 August 2012 - 10:02 AM Rate Topic: -----

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

How to put an effect into a model?

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:28 AM

So, I'm starting to experiment with High Level Shader Language. And I'm reading this book that says model files are supposed to have their shader's built into them (not sure if that's just a reference to an effect file or the actual code, but I assume it's just a reference to a file like a texture is).

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how you're supposed to do that. Can you attach a HLSL effect as a material in Blender? How else would you put an effect in the model if you can't? Or is it that just Blender's not capable of this and therefore practically useless? Do I have to use 3DMax for this? I'm trying to use Blender because I'm eventually hoping to write tutorials on this and want to use Shareware so that buying tools is not a barrier to those going through the tutorial.

Anyone have any know-how on how to attach HLSL effects to Blender models? Or what tools could be used for that?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to put an effect into a model?

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to put an effect into a model?

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:02 AM

Looks like I got most of my answer on someone's blog:

http://omixna.codepl...ussions/254155/

Seems Blender is created in OpenGL and not likely to support DirectX shaders even if they supported shaders. But it looks like it doesn't even support GLSL shaders. So, no cigar. Looks like you have to either sell your car and buy 3D-Max(or Maya), write your own program to edit the files, or assign shaders in your code rather than using what's in the model file.

I'll probably just hardcode the shaders in the game until I'm forced to actually solve the problem.

Looks like you can bring the FBX models into FX Composer for testing a shader on it. Then you can bring the shader and the model into the game seperately and combine them with code.

The only other real option I see is to edit the .FBX file after it's exported from Blender, either by hand or with a custom program.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1