Blue Screen Of Death

• (2 Pages)
  • +

28 Replies - 2314 Views - Last Post: 16 June 2002 - 11:40 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

BSOD

Posted 24 April 2002 - 08:17 PM

I have been getting the BSOD for months now, since installing XP. I have made certain that all hardware is compatible and I check for updates constantly. There is something going on though that causes the blue screen. It happens while the box is idle, it happens when I'm working, it happens when I'm playing Freecell, there is no pattern. The most common error is IRQL_not_equal_or_less yaddayadda and the stop error of 0X00000044 with the next set of numbers changing all the time. I have a legal pad full of stop codes. I also get the 0X0000008E stop code once in a while. I've done the memory dump and sent it off to MS for analysis, but they are not interested in anything besides getting more of my money. If you need more info, just ask. I bump around the forums all the time and noone has ever had a solid answer for this. All I ever get is the same knowledgebase searches and Google searches I've already done.

System Specs:
AMD 1800XP
Asus A7V133 Mobo Bios version 1008 and new Via 4 in 1 drivers (no help)
ATI Readon 7500 AGP
768 mg RAM PC/133 (it's all good, had it checked first)
Yamaha Audio with XP approved drivers
Toshiba pcx2000 cable modem on USB
Acer 1032 CDRW
Maxtor 30 Gig HD on crappy Promise ATA/100 controller

That's about it. Need anymore info, just let me know. I've got this whole post memorized. This is about the 30th board I have posted this to...maybe 30 is the charm 'eh?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: BSOD

• Dream.In.Force

• View blog

Re: BSOD

Posted 24 April 2002 - 08:49 PM

Have you done a re-install? I'm sure you have and this is probably the must common question you're asked.... But hey, I had to ask.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2002 - 08:55 PM

I'm actually on my third reinstall. The first was force of habit. I reinstall for anything...hehe. J/K. The first was thinking it was just an XP glitch. The second was to go back to 98se, but I'm spoiled now with XP, so I did an upgrade instead of a clean install, no help. The lastest was to go from NTFS back to FAT32, thinking it may do something...it didn't. I have also reformatted (twice) and gotten a new HD from Maxtor, thinking it might be the cause since I get the checkdisk on every startup. But the disk is healthy. I'm stumped.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dream.In.Force

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2002 - 09:02 PM

Quote: from GoatIronMaidn on 11:55 pm on April 24, 2002
I'm stumped.
Me too... I'm going to do some checking on the errors.... But me resources a limited for XP. If I figure something out I'll post back.

####, where is Vet when you need him.....

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• You wish you were my hand!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2002 - 11:59 PM

IRQL_not_equal_or_less

doesnt that error mean that you are having a IRQ conflict?

check to see if more then one thing is on the same IRQ. i had the problem the other day. my vid card and my USB controller where conflicting. check to see... i forget where you check... my friend figured out the problem for me... i will ask him in the morning.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2002 - 05:50 AM

cough... xp=shit... cough
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• nooneenooneenooonee
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2002 - 06:42 AM

I would agree with Blunted and say that it sound's like an IRQ error. I would puall all unnessacary PCI cards out of your computer and try to install it again,if it works put them back in one at a time and find if one of them is causing the problem. Althought XP has some kind of monitor to check from more than 4 pieces of new hardware and will kill you activation, so I would just skip the actavation step until you get it working.

Cheers Sam

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2002 - 07:40 AM

*BumP*
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2002 - 08:05 AM

Quote: from smckone on 9:42 am on April 25, 2002
I would agree with Blunted and say that it sound's like an IRQ error. I would puall all unnessacary PCI cards out of your computer and try to install it again,if it works put them back in one at a time and find if one of them is causing the problem. Althought XP has some kind of monitor to check from more than 4 pieces of new hardware and will kill you activation, so I would just skip the actavation step until you get it working.

Cheers Sam

good advice. just try reinstalling XP with just your vid card. then once in windows, start putting in the cards. when you put in the card that messes everything up you will know.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dream.In.Force

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2002 - 08:22 AM

Quote: from BluntedbyNature on 11:05 am on April 25, 2002
good advice. just try reinstalling XP with just your vid card. then once in windows, start putting in the cards. when you put in the card that messes everything up you will know.
Correct me if I'm wrong... But did BBN just say it would be a good idea to insert cards while the machine is on? I don't think that's what smckone ment... But hey, GoatIronMaidn, if you try it with the power on like BBN says, be sure to take pictures for us. I want to see the expression on your face when the smoke starts to roll... LMAO! :laugh:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• nooneenooneenooonee
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2002 - 08:28 AM

Yeah... Um that is not what I meant. MAKE SURE TO TURN OFF THE POWER AND UNPLUG THE MACINE BEFORE MESSING WITH THE INTERNALS. As much as I would love to see pictures of a smoking geek, I think that you don't want to be the one.

Cheers Moe

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2002 - 08:43 AM

The advice I got from a friend in Texas (Texas...ugh), was to take the box in the shower and clean it out, then bury it for 2 weeks in the back yard. Every day I was supposed to go out and do the monk's chant from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Then dig it up and screw a pair of Moose antlers onto it. Plug it in, and he guarentees it will work after that. If that fails, he said to use the holy hand grenade. My first impression was...hmm, couldn't hurt at this point. But then I priced some moose antlers. Way too expensive. So here I am, back in another forum.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2002 - 08:59 AM

Quote: from SlashRaid on 11:22 am on April 25, 2002

Quote: from BluntedbyNature on 11:05 am on April 25, 2002
Correct me if I'm wrong... But did BBN just say it would be a good idea to insert cards while the machine is on? I don't think that's what smckone ment... But hey, GoatIronMaidn, if you try it with the power on like BBN says, be sure to take pictures for us. I want to see the expression on your face when the smoke starts to roll... LMAO! :laugh:

ok... i forgot a step.... well i figured most people would know to turn the machine off... so i didnt think of writing it. well yeah make sure the machine is off before you start sticking shit in it.

and fyi you can pull the stuff out of a machine while running i did it with a OLD machine to see how long it would work. i pulled out everything when the machine finally froze is when i pulled out the CPU but it took like a minute after i pulled it out to notice it was gone.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dream.In.Force

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2002 - 08:59 AM

So does the IRQ plan that smckone stated earlier sound valid to you? So far this seems to be your best shot at a fix.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2002 - 09:12 AM

Seriously, I have tried the IRQ bit and it didn't help. The problem is, the IRQ sharing and assignments are controlled by ACPI. I have disabled it and set the IRQ's manually, and a whole host of new and exciting problems cropped up. Also, regardless of which diagnostic program I run, it shows no conflicts with IRQ. Also after doing numerous searches, I don't think IRQ and IRQL are the same. In the event viewer under administrative tools, it says something about a packet was sent and failed and timed out, I'd look right now, but it seems anything that requires access to the system files causes a BSOD nowadays. I'll get the exact wording and post it later. Here are some other miscellaneous errors which may or may not be related:
IPSEC service fails (whatever that is) because of authorization errors, I get constant pop up (st start up and for about 30 minutes thereafter)saying that the file VBRUN300.dll cannot be found, but I have no clue what program is looking for it and where it should be if I find it. I also get Winsock errors in Quake II which say WSEACONNRESET from (ip), and a bunch of others.
I traced the address of the origional 0X00000044 error and it points to motherboard resources, but I'm not sure I did that right either. I have the newest bios for the mobo and the newest 4 in 1 drivers for the Via chipset. I thought it might be a problem with the onboard Promise ATA/100 controllers, because I heard they were crap, but I'm not using the ATA drive anymore, just running through regular IDE. Hasn't changed the fact that I have to run checkdisk at every boot, although one of the earliest XP updates was supposed to fix that...guess not. Worst of all, I get installation errors when trying to install Dreamweaver 4 and Flash 5. I guess the site will have to do for now.

Any other suggestions (that don't include electrocuting myself) would be appreciated.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +