5 Replies - 2037 Views - Last Post: 20 August 2012 - 05:40 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Getting started as a beginner

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:38 AM

Hello, I am a complete clueless beginner to be honest. I already have a website for a project I'm working on, but have had a friend make it for me. I am now wanting to get started on a few other website ideas that I have and have finally decided to teach myself how to do so. I want to start getting into some of these tutorials here, can anyone point me in the right direction please? In terms of where to start.

This post has been edited by Atli: 20 August 2012 - 08:23 AM
Reason for edit:: The [code] tags are for code, not normal text.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Getting started as a beginner

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Getting started as a beginner

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:21 AM

DIC has a wide range of tutorials written by great programmers. You can start there under tutorial section. If you run into any problems, every one here at DIC can help you out.

start here with Lemur's tutorial

Lemur tutorial

This post has been edited by DarenR: 20 August 2012 - 08:22 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:25 AM

Hi Daren, Thanks for the reply, but that is actually what I meant. Which specific tutorial do you suggest I begin with? I was having a look through but have no idea where to start...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:34 AM

thanks, just saw the edit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:25 PM

Knock out the basics of HTML - creating a basic page with some headings, paragraphs, semantics, some basic formatting, and a couple links.

Then hop over and learn the basics of CSS. Selectors/pseudos, measurements, colors, basic properties, layouts, typography, etc. You can learn as much CSS as you want in one swing, however you may not have an explicit use for it until a later point in time.

After you have a base in CSS, go back and get into more HTML. Forms, JS integration, tabular data, frames, etc.

Most HTML tutorials resemble this in some fashion. The first few chapters (or the entire tutorial if it is strictly a beginner's tut) will cover the basics. It is enough to build a very simple - and probably not too visually appealing - webpage, but provides 80% of what you need to know.

Also, look for ebook torrents. There are several good ones out there that can show you a different way to do something if a certain task has you stuck.

Hope this helps.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:40 PM

http://baweaver.tumb...html-the-basics

That one is more updated, the other tutorial was written a long time ago. This one covers an entire series all the way up through to color theory and design principle. Check it out, and use the next button to cycle through the tutorials.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1