5 Replies - 2214 Views - Last Post: 21 August 2012 - 12:00 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

PyQt 4 license questions

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:42 PM

Does anyone use PyQt 4? I rceently picked it up since its seemed to be a straight forward GUI framework (I think that is the right word) for Python 3.x and I was able to find books for it. Granted the books may have slight issues, which I got resolved by visiting the Python IRC channel, it is much easier to understand than the documentation.

But what I am confused on is the license. I do not own a commercial license but if I understand right all I need to do in include a copy of the GPL and state that the QT side is copyrighted to Riverbank. Is this true? Is there a different GUI framework (again hopefully the right word) I can use with a more "do whatever you want" type of license? I do NOT plan to sell my Python applications, and may not even release most, but if I do that is where it gets hazy.

Can anyone share some light on it for me? Also under GPL (any version) is selling prohibited or do all open source licenses allow someone to sell an application regardless of who wrote it?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: PyQt 4 license questions

• lost in compilation
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: PyQt 4 license questions

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:24 PM

As long as you're using Qt as is (no custom modifications to the Qt source files) and you link the libraries in your project it should be safe, even if the project is for sale.
If the project is not for profit, there should be no cause for concern.

Honestly your best bet would be to contact them directly: http://qt.nokia.com/contact
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:58 PM

I second that! I do very little GUI work, but everybody seems to love PyQT, they're probably the ones to go with.

Typically, selling your applications should not be a terrible hassle, but contacting them should get you the answers you're looking for.

This post has been edited by atraub: 20 August 2012 - 01:59 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:50 PM

I don't want to sell the application because what is the point with people just opening the scripts in a text editor and editing away. I don't want to make money from them either as I do believe in having more free and open source software, but that isn't relevant. What is however is what I need to do the license as since all of them with their wording are fairly confusing. Which I guess another point would be does any know of a site explaining the different open source license options in an idiot proof way?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• lost in compilation
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

Reading a few successful OSLs may be helpful: http://opensource.or...nses/index.html

http://www.zdnet.com...ense-part-1/130
is a little outdated, but the questions it raises are still valid. It should help in your research.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:00 AM

Well since you are not selling your applications I don't think you will have any problems. I think the only thing is if you package a PyQt module with one of your application, and correct me if I am wrong, but I think in that case GPL wants you to provide a copy of GPL license and make sure that you clearly state that everything falls under that license. Then if you ever decide to go and sell an application I definitely would take William_Wilson's advice and contact Riverbank.

On a side note about PyQt, I have used it a few times and it is now my go to GUI toolkit for python. I haven't had to code anything in python in a while, but if you have any questions while learning pyqt I could try to remember how to fix them because I ran into lots of roadblocks when learning pyqt and had to do lots of research to find obscure answers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1