5 Replies - 2108 Views - Last Post: 22 August 2012 - 10:19 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Photoshop CS5 vs Chasys Draw IES?

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:38 AM

Hello I'm in a digital design class at my school and I was wondering what the difference between Photoshop CS5 and Chasys Draw IES. I have googled this but I didn't find anything that compared the two. My school uses Photoshop but I am using Chasys Draw IES because its free. I really just want to know if I'm losing any features because I might end up having to do some homework/unfinished classwork. :gun_bandana:Thanks!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Photoshop CS5 vs Chasys Draw IES?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Photoshop CS5 vs Chasys Draw IES?

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:02 PM

I have never heard of "Chasys", but it looks like a photoshop clone of sorts.. much like gimp or such.

As for differences - one is support. The business world likes to have stable and well supported projects.. that then trickles down to the schools as "we need people with experience in photoshop".

Without using Chasys I have no idea what that entails, but photoshop is a large, and all encompassing, application with a crazy level of plugins and customization you can buy into. That and it deals with large memory management like a boss!

Are you missing out - probably. If you have the opportunity to use photoshop, for free, with your class then by all means do it!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:18 PM

yes I think its a clone of Photoshop but I think it also has almost as many features because it just seems like there's a lot of options maybe not I don't I haven't been able to use Photoshop in school yet. Its only the second day back from summer break. I'll post what I think are some differences when I get a chance to use it I was just wondering.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:58 PM

IMO, even not having used this "Chasys", I can fairly confidently say that it doesn't hold a match to the flame that is Photoshop. Photoshop costs money, and a good chunk at that, but it is THE software to have if you do serious graphic design/editing.

That said, I also support open source projects in general. If I can find a compatible replacement for what I need, then I will go open source every time. In fact, I could venture to say that Adobe I the only paid software on my computer.

Sorry, back to the topic. Definitely get your feet wet with Photoshop. Experiment with other programs (gimp, chasys, paintshop pro, etc) and if it is something you really develop an interest in, use whatever you are most comfortable with.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:56 PM

A professional program made by hundreds of trained developers versus an opensource or small scale application, I can guarantee you who will win on that end. I know of Linux and other examples to the contrary, but Photoshop is definitely not one of them. I've yet to see another program hold a candle to it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:19 AM

Ok today I got to mess around in Photoshop. I think that they both have a lot of features in common and both have features that the other one doesn't. Also I think that Photoshop has more of a professional free to it and Chasys Draw IES seems like it would be good for beginners. Anyone that has used Photoshop or hasn't heard of Chasys Draw IES will probably think that there is no way that this is possible (haters :yes: ). I would recommend to people that are planning to pursue a career in design to start out this Chasys Draw IES and after they are familiar with all the features to move on to Photoshop.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1