10 Replies - 3050 Views - Last Post: 08 November 2012 - 04:33 AM

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

I have a brilliant web site idea but I don't know how to implement

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:40 PM

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but this is a nightmare on coding st. so to speak. Basically I have a great web site idea and ideas come a dime a dozen but it's knowing how to implement the idea successfully that counts. Look at Mark founder of Facebook; sure facebook was a good idea but he was still a brilliant coder.

That said I have had some software development experience, but I haven't had much experience with online languages like PHP and MYSQL. I have just started with PHP and to give you an example I messed up my XAMPP server to test php locally now it's re-install time *phew*.

In any case I obviously won't give away my idea but it will require users being able to post content/reviews on things and it will also require a login account. Are there any shortcuts that can be used to get both of these abilities like joomala? My instinct tells me it's coding time. I will have to learn mysql and PHP proficiently correct?

I don't know? Where do I start and what's your advice?

Thanks in Advance to Everyone.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I have a brilliant web site idea but I don't know how to implement

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I have a brilliant web site idea but I don't know how to implement

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:46 PM

*sigh*
Forum description:

Post the worst code you come across and have a good laugh. Because sometimes your code dreams, are really code nightmares.

I'll dump this in.. web dev? sure.. web dev.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:53 PM

To be honest, it's not likely to do you any harm if you talk about your idea. It's pretty certain that if it's a good one, some large number of people have thought of it already, and either decided not to bother or are working on it, or have already made it and it just happens that it hasn't taken over the way you seem to think it ought to.
Be that as it may, if you have an idea that you think would make a good web page, your options seem to be
  • learn to write it yourself
  • get someone to write it
  • keep on meaning to get around to it forever
  • forget about it

Take your pick. If you choose door number 1, yes, PHP and SQL are likely to come into play. You might find another server-side language, but PHP is quite popular in that role. You'd probably also want javascript or coffeescript or something more client-side as well. HTML, it goes without saying, will be required, and I expect a few dollops of CSS will also be needed.

So you've got your work cut out for you. Get to it.

BTW, don't expect a lot of nice responses to a question like this. It seems pretty obvious to most people that if you want to make a web site, you should learn to write the basic webby languages. I'm only being nice because it's a Thursday and I usually try to be nice on Thursdays.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:04 AM

Sorry guys. I apologize for not posting this in the best category. I guess what I'm asking are more along the lines of what books or sites online do people recommend for actual study of PHP and mysql? Etc. Has anyone had a similar idea that they thought was good and did it take off online?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:52 AM

start from scratch and everything will follow..
but dont forget to ask questions to knows and always be active in forum..
dont be afraid in asking questions.. learn trial and error. and the best way
is to have friends who is good in web developing so that he/she can teach you. and
share his/her knowledge to you..... study wise... do not study hard.. :) cheers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:59 AM

You might want to start with Frameworks like Code Igniter, Symfony2, CakePHP.

You can also try CMSs like Joomla or Wordpress with plugins like RSForms. Those are enough if you just need people to be able to create accounts, log in, and post some stuff.

Regards,
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:29 AM

Check out my thread Getting Better At Programming PHP.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 depricated  Icon User is online

• Derpicorn

• View blog

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:04 AM

You could always try Drupal. It's a robust CMS, best I've encountered. If you have a head for programming but not PHP, there are a number of modules already existing you can pick up and tweak in the module settings rather than in the code itself. You can use the CCK (content creation kit) to make just about anything and make it interactive with some imaginative use of relationships.

I use Drupal on a couple sites I manage. I tend to get in to the code itself to tweak things, but there are a couple members of the team who only work in the CCK/Views but still provide a huge service to the team. Entire structures on the site have been built without a drop of PHP from the team.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:15 AM

If I were you, I'd take a look at the thread Mac posted. Here's something I've stated before and I'll reiterate: we all learn differently. If you're a visual learner, you could probably watch tutorials, read tutorials, or read a book. If you're auditory maybe video tutorials will help because you got the commentary, maybe watching lectures will help. There are also tactile learners who will benefit by getting their hands on the code and learn as their going. You need to find what suits you the best.

I see someone mentioned the use of frameworks above. I for one find the use of MVCs (Model View Controller) to be extremely useful. They can help for rapid development and make things easier. Most of the time they require you to have OO (Object Oriented) knowledge, so if you're just starting to learn PHP then I wouldn't start using one until you have an understanding of how OO coding works. Out of all the frameworks that I've used, Codeigniter is the one I'm most familiar with. It's not the most light weight or the most efficient. I've been playing around in Laravel 3 for a little while, and Laravel 4 will be coming out soon. Taylor (The creator of Laravel), is turning Laravel 4 into something quite amazing so I can't wait for it to be in beta :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:28 AM

View PostEnvXOwner, on 04 November 2012 - 08:15 AM, said:

If I were you, I'd take a look at the thread Mac posted. Here's something I've stated before and I'll reiterate: we all learn differently. If you're a visual learner, you could probably watch tutorials, read tutorials, or read a book. If you're auditory maybe video tutorials will help because you got the commentary, maybe watching lectures will help. There are also tactile learners who will benefit by getting their hands on the code and learn as their going. You need to find what suits you the best.

I see someone mentioned the use of frameworks above. I for one find the use of MVCs (Model View Controller) to be extremely useful. They can help for rapid development and make things easier. Most of the time they require you to have OO (Object Oriented) knowledge, so if you're just starting to learn PHP then I wouldn't start using one until you have an understanding of how OO coding works. Out of all the frameworks that I've used, Codeigniter is the one I'm most familiar with. It's not the most light weight or the most efficient. I've been playing around in Laravel 3 for a little while, and Laravel 4 will be coming out soon. Taylor (The creator of Laravel), is turning Laravel 4 into something quite amazing so I can't wait for it to be in beta :)

I've been coding everything by hand and compared to C and C++ PHP has had a few pitfalls for me but in total has been a cinch. I've had a lot of other problems though of course but yeah....What advantages is there to using a framework like codeigniter and what all does it have?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Perfectly Squared ;)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:33 AM

View Postadn258, on 08 November 2012 - 04:58 PM, said:

What advantages is there to using a framework like codeigniter and what all does it have?

You may want to have a look at This link for the answer to your question.

regards,
Raghav
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1