10 Replies - 3552 Views - Last Post: 24 August 2012 - 11:16 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

First Web Application

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:33 PM

I decided to write my first web application. I knew basic HTML, CSS, and JS but this was a good learning experience. It is a very, very simple weather application using Google's weather API. Still some bugs to iron out, such as an error page when searching for a place that Google can't find. Any suggestions?

Link
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: First Web Application

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: First Web Application

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:53 PM

Moved to Site Check.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:55 PM

Nice application you have built there. I would suggest that you add the following things...

1) Add some text to tell the user to enter a city name. Just to keep the user on track.
2) I would do something about showing your errors publicly like that. I can see some of the code written in the stack trace you have there. Makes it easy for people to potentially hack your site.
3) Shrink down a bit of the elements on the weather page. It appeared to me really big and took up the whole screen.

Other than that, you are off to a good start. Keep up the good work. :)

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 23 August 2012 - 08:55 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:34 PM

View PostMartyr2, on 23 August 2012 - 08:55 PM, said:

Nice application you have built there. I would suggest that you add the following things...

1) Add some text to tell the user to enter a city name. Just to keep the user on track.
2) I would do something about showing your errors publicly like that. I can see some of the code written in the stack trace you have there. Makes it easy for people to potentially hack your site.
3) Shrink down a bit of the elements on the weather page. It appeared to me really big and took up the whole screen.

Other than that, you are off to a good start. Keep up the good work. :)

Thanks a lot. I already implemented the placeholder text on the search page. The public errors will be fixed when it's ready for production. It's in debug mode now. Which elements are too big?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:07 PM

The page that shows the weather and allows you to see each day's weather when you hit the left or right arrow buttons. All the elements on that page seemed really big.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

TheDuceCat: Your site is pretty cool! I see your adopting Google's "simple is better" feel. It looks really good though, despite needing the minor aesthetic fixes mentioned by Martyr. It would be cool if you could add auto-complete to the search bar (since already your using Google APIs). Perhaps with the right PlaceType options, the user's city and state will pop up with minimal effort.

P.S. - Heroku is awesome!

This post has been edited by blackcompe: 23 August 2012 - 10:17 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:24 PM

View PostMartyr2, on 23 August 2012 - 10:07 PM, said:

The page that shows the weather and allows you to see each day's weather when you hit the left or right arrow buttons. All the elements on that page seemed really big.

I see your point, but I'm afraid if I make it too small the page will look kind of tiny. The API doesn't have a lot of information to show, so I'm not sure how I should go about shrinking everything. I'll experiment.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:00 AM

View Postblackcompe, on 23 August 2012 - 10:14 PM, said:

TheDuceCat: Your site is pretty cool! I see your adopting Google's "simple is better" feel. It looks really good though, despite needing the minor aesthetic fixes mentioned by Martyr. It would be cool if you could add auto-complete to the search bar (since already your using Google APIs). Perhaps with the right PlaceType options, the user's city and state will pop up with minimal effort.

P.S. - Heroku is awesome!

Fantastic suggestion! I figured this auto complete thing would be hard to set up, but it was easy and works perfectly. And Heroku is awesome!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:17 AM

View PostMartyr2, on 23 August 2012 - 10:07 PM, said:

I updated the site. What do you think?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:02 AM

pretty cool use of Google services. you might want to check form validation because if left blank you receive an error screen and that's easily avoidable
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:16 AM

View Postshezzy, on 24 August 2012 - 08:02 AM, said:

pretty cool use of Google services. you might want to check form validation because if left blank you receive an error screen and that's easily avoidable

Updated. New version has search form validation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1