2 Replies - 1389 Views - Last Post: 24 August 2012 - 07:57 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Size of Database for Small Business

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:46 AM

I was approached by a manufacturing shop to help them out with an online storefront a little while back.

I've been doing a little bit of work with Windows Azure recently. On their platform, you have to pay based on the tiered-size of your database.

I was about to give them a quote/cost analysis when I realized that I had no idea if 1 GB was too small or too large for their needs.

currently, they don't use a SQL/Access database of any sort; they track everything manually in Excel spreadsheets. Therefore, I can't simply look it up for them. As well, I've never been the database admin on any project I've worked on.

this company has roughly 100 products, deals with roughly 45,000 invoices per year, and has approximately 300 customers. The database would solely deal with sales (no employee data, supplier data etc. to keep track of).

the product details are fairly simple: SKU, short-form description, quantities per box, estimated shipping times, cost, etc. all-in-all, approximately 10 fields.

the invoices are what you expect, another fairly short list of items.

the customer accounts mainly contain shipping and billing info and order history.

not asking for coding/design advice - just kinda need the general size of a database containing that amount of data.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Size of Database for Small Business

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Size of Database for Small Business

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:43 AM

Are you planning to have images in the db? then size will go up, even then the 1GB will be sufficient for most small business uses (if the images are larger than 10mb then rethink what your doing unless your selling the images :P), however you could just check the size of a few records and do some maths on these figures.

This post has been edited by floppyspace: 24 August 2012 - 03:43 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Size of Database for Small Business

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:57 PM

There seems to be the current philosophy now in database management that one never deletes anything from the database. Records/rows are just marked as deleted, or tombstoned, but the space is never recovered.

I can see keeping some records long enough until the next backup cycle, but come on? Leaving the PHP session entry from last year in he database? You've got to be kidding, right?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1