Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Over or wrong used business sayings

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:19 PM

I like the part where Robin19 signs his work emails as Robin19.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:20 PM

In business, everything is called a "solution". Thus the famous one-liner

What was the problem to this solution again?

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:28 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 24 August 2012 - 12:59 PM, said:

Typically I run it up a flag pole and see who salutes before I leave a meeting...

That sounds dirty.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• = -1
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:30 PM

I'm calling this short meeting to touch base with everyone for a quick catch-up of where we're at. The Board meeting has been moved forward to Monday, so as timeframes are getting tight, if I could get your input ASAP, that would be great.

I want to ensure that we're within budget, so can I please get an idea of where the additional costs are being incurred and an idea of the quantum. We need to make sure that we hit all our targets before we deal with the nice to haves.

Now, so that we're all on the same page, I want to make sure that, moving forward, we don't make the same mistakes twice, so I'll be conducting a post-implementation review this Thursday, and I'd like you all to come.

Here is a copy of the minutes of last meeting. Please find attached a copy of the schedule, with a gannt chart of the timeline showing where we're at.

Rgds,
e_i_pi
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:35 PM

Let's take this from another perspective, from the side of the businessman and the veterans.

Cocky children who:

• Try to redefine everything
  • Call those more experienced ignorant
  • Mouth off about $WORK in public
  • Have no respect
  • Think they're infinitely more clever than others
  • Repeatedly start topics complaining about their job (which they're lucky to have with their attitude.)

I could go on, but you get the general point.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:13 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 24 August 2012 - 02:54 PM, said:

"What is your ETA?"

That and "time frame." I also hear clients throw around the term "agile" when they clearly don't understand it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:16 PM

Just a pet peeve, in general: misuse of the phrase "begs the question". Correct usage and explanation is here: http://begthequestion.info/

As for over used business terms and phrases:
"value add"
"value prop" -- just say "value proposition"
"customer sat" -- just say "customer satisfaction"
"future proof"
"client-centric"
"client-based"
"key take aways"
"paradigm shift"
"best of breed"
"ROI" -- just say "return on investment"

And for misused terms:
"WAG" or "SWAG"
Although you tell management that it's a wild ass guess, they somehow hold you to it.

"living document"
Notice how the living document hasn't been updated in the past 3 revisions? Nor does it include evidence of past mistakes?

"Total Quality Management"
Notice how bugs that would have been considered high priority months ago, are getting punted as low priority bugs the closer the deadline is?

On the other hand, nobody said that the word "quality" in TQM automatically implied "good" or "excellent". It could easily imply "bad" or "terrible" as well. As long as it is totally managed, then probably the term is not misused.

This post has been edited by Skydiver: 25 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:45 AM

In my workplace, we're not "client-centric", we're "student-centered". And I don't have ETAs, I have ETTCs (Estimated Time To Completion) and ELDs (Estimated Launch Date).

"Hey! Just checking the status on the new site! What's the ETTC vs the ELD? Have you contacted IT?"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:50 AM

At work we have a group who once a month write about words that we should try to remove from our vocabulary, things like:

Solutioning, as in I am solutioning the problem.

Resource, when refering to a person ( I tried to stop using this but really struggled)

And all the bloody acronyms frive me crazy, especially when there are about 5 different meanings of each!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:53 PM

Good luck getting rid of the acronyms HTTP, HTML, XML, and JSON. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:57 PM

View PostBenignDesign, on 24 August 2012 - 09:35 AM, said:

"irregardless" isn't actually a word and only serves to make someone sound like an idiot.

"I have a question" is an overused business term? Sounds like a mundane sentence that could be spoken by anyone, anywhere, in any line of work... or possibly a child. I know mine say this quite a bit.

So, I'm seeking clarification here... is this a list of overused business terms or just general phrases that you personally find annoying? The distinction is very important in determining whether the topic has been posted in the correct board.

over used business terms--- I hear "I have a question" or various forms of it for things that aren't even questions. Such as, well the question is do we have more questions to ask to get this application done. Well if you have a question than ask it.

oh and early 20 somethings who are on their first job and don't know any better so they always try to sound better than they are or throw you under the bus for something they did with the phrase like, "well he was mentoring me so......" The way I see it, If you in your 20's, until you get some real life experience like marriage, kids, mortgage, car, job, etc just keep your mouth shut because you really haven't accomplished anything.

This post has been edited by DarenR: 26 August 2012 - 04:07 PM

Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:47 PM

POPULAR

View PostDarenR, on 26 August 2012 - 05:57 PM, said:

oh and early 20 somethings who are on their first job and don't know any better so they always try to sound better than they are or throw you under the bus for something they did with the phrase like, "well he was mentoring me so......" The way I see it, If you in your 20's, until you get some real life experience like marriage, kids, mortgage, car, job, etc just keep your mouth shut because you really haven't accomplished anything.

Words to live by.... In all seriousness, if you treat new devs or admins like that then I would personally advocate that person being thrown under the bus because more than likely they're toxic to the company. Remember, as a senior, you're there to teach and help instead of being arrogant and trying to haze the newbie. As soon as it becomes more about status, position, and politics than learning and teaching you've lost yourself and effectively sold your soul to the bureaucracy.

The sheer ignorance of that statement speaks pages. A 30 can tell a 20 he has no experience as much as a 40 can tell a 30. No one has it figured out, and to try and hammer someone for not knowing makes a jerk out of you quite quickly. In fact, that 30 something telling the 20 something looks pretty danged arrogant to the 40 something and up.

Now, as to how this ties in. The business saying and practice of hazing due to traditionalism and a good ol' boy system are trite and outdated. There's no faster way to ruin a company than to discredit someone solely based upon their age.

What I'm saying is that acting in an elitist and pretentious manner is toxic. It only takes one well-placed drop of poison to ruin an entire company.

Perhaps I'm an idealist, perhaps I am that 20 something year old kid, but I cannot condone such words against people just getting their start. Saying that they have no experience sickens me. I guarantee I know several 20 somethings that can outperform people of such ways of thinking several times over.

The fact is that some people like job assurance. These 20 somethings are like sharks and can smell your blood in the water from miles away. They know when someone is killing a company, and they'll take their chances to take them down. It says a lot about anyone's character when people are trying to throw you under a bus.

Perhaps it's time to reevaluate things from a less arrogant standpoint?

</soapbox>
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:20 AM

View PostDarenR, on 26 August 2012 - 05:57 PM, said:

The way I see it, If you in your 20's, until you get some real life experience like marriage, kids, mortgage, car, job, etc just keep your mouth shut because you really haven't accomplished anything.

The way I see it, if you're in your forties and you think "marriage, kids, mortgage, car, job" are the things that constitute "life experience" you will never accomplish anything.
Sure, they're a part of life, but there's a lot more out there, and there's a lot of twenty year olds who have figured that out.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +