5 Replies - 2850 Views - Last Post: 01 October 2012 - 05:10 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Where should I start?

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:20 PM

So I hope this would be the right area of the forum I am posting in. But I am trying to get information just a mindset on where I should start first in programming. I'm a young guy 20 years and I work with networks in a datacenter with HP. But my dream has always been to be a game programmer. I know very little with programming just a few things here and there the basic hello world program that's about it. I will be starting school in about a month going towards my computer programming degree. But in the meantime on my own time where should I really start and learn the very basic to really get me going??

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Where should I start?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Where should I start?

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:29 PM

Find the intro language of the college you are going into.. find a book from amazon that is "learning X" where X is the language.. buy it, and work through all the chapters and exercises. Pay attention to the concepts over the syntax and you should be good to go.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:35 PM

Always write code with readability and organization as your primary goals. Never take the "I just want to get it working" attitude. In fact, getting it working should be low on your list of priorities.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:13 PM

Thanks for the replys :). I think the intro programming class or what we will be starting with is C# Programming I
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:41 PM

a message for your future self: after you feel like youve learned the basics (loops, data types, OOP etc) learn datastructures and algorithms. my community college never cared much for these, and i transferred to university, and thats all its about, and i feel like im 100x better than i was back then because of it
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:10 PM

I am a Physics Bsc student who loves programming. When I started on PHP there were a lot of resources for dummies out there onthe web and I must point to the one that really got me going: tizag.com. The site gave me a good foundation and from there the PHP manual that I stumbled upon in chm format accelerated my progress. I was doing all that for fun but now I want to do C for serious things (school) I dont fid resouces comparable to what I've mentioned for PHP. Is it because I'm looking in the wrong places or the language is jut not that popular anymore?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1