6 Replies - 1098 Views - Last Post: 27 August 2012 - 01:58 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

I need advice about laptop and future

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:37 AM

Few questions for you guys. I hope this is appropriate to post it here.

I'm a CS field student. I should do a lot of programming work. What laptop should I get? What are the specs I should be looking at? I'm thinking of installing Linux over Windows. Using Eclipse as my IDE. Windows are only for Word and Powerpoint. I don't play games. I'd like to do some 2D physics programming. I don't know about budget because here doesn't use dollar. No macs, poorfag here.

Oh the other question is, about job market for CS. I'm majoring in Netcentric Computing though. It's like networking + programming course. Kinda new here. So yeah. I'm really confused right now. I love programming but less liking in networking field. I cannot predict how my future will be like.

Which is more likely for me to get a job, being a programmer in some company or be a network engineer or some stuff like that? Should I continue to program or just focus on networking?

Plus, I really like to combine science in astronomy and space sciences with programming. How should I go about that?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I need advice about laptop and future

#2 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I need advice about laptop and future

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:45 AM

Its more expensive, and this recommendation may not be popular but...
I'd go with the biggest fraking Mac laptop you can afford and here's why:

It can run both MacOS, Windows and Linux. Therefore you can build objective-c under Xcode for Macintosh and iOS (iPhone/iPad) as well as all those >NET languages for Windows.

You just never know if a year from now you want to get into something additional to what you see right now (like mobile app development) and for a few more bucks you have all your bases covered in one machine rather than have 2 machines each with half the power.

As for the future: If we had a crystal ball for the job market 20% of us wouldn't be looking for work after the economy crash just like every other industry.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:58 AM

I forgot to mention that I'm self-learning on developing Android app. I don't care about the popularity though, I just want to get the experience of developing an app for mobile.

And thanks for your response. I'll consider that for my laptop. Right now I'm using my dad's old Acer, installed Ubuntu on it. And it lags so hard.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Lemur  Icon User is online

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:42 PM

Personally I think Macs are overpriced and the only supposed benefit is a BSD-ripped OS that doesn't perform to the same level as the others in its family.

For college, save your money and buy a 5-700$ range computer, they have plenty enough power and won't break your budget. Buying the shiniest toys will kill you in terms of budget. As a freshman I had very little money to work with, and asking my parents to shell 2,000$ on a mac was out of the question.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

Adding more RAM and swapping out the hard drive from a 5400 RPM to a 7200 RPM drive can breath new life into a laptop if you are on a budget. SSD's are amazing, but the storage to price ratio still isn't great, and you'll need the storage space if you plan on having multiple OSes and SDK's.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:50 PM

Is Thinkpad T or X series any good?

I've been asking this question to several forums, they all say Thinkpad is good. What do you think?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:58 PM

since you're only programming, you can literally buy anything above the Intel Atom and AMD E/C series and it will be fast enough. You're going to encounter ALOT of people telling you to buy the fastest CPU and the max amount of memory. Simply put, they're WRONG. These upgrades might be applicable to professionals working on 500K LOC programs, but you generally won't be compiling that stuff in school. although, SSDs upgrades are one piece of advice you should follow.

as someone who used 17", 15", and 13" laptops all through school, i REALLY recommend going with a 13" model. It's easier to find table space and you'll save on your medical bills for your back.

My personal VS dev image is only about 60GB. I don't imagine the OS X and Linux dev isos would be very much larger.

With all these points in mind, I would recommend you get a light-weight 13" laptop with user-servicable RAM and hard drive bays. I would DEFINITELY recommend something with a resolution higher than 1366x768.

Personally, I believe the ultimate dev machine is still the Sony Vaio Z2/Z3. 1080p screen in a 13" chassis supporting a full-power CPU and integrated SSD in a 2.5lb weight envelope.

ps, yes, Lenovo Thinkpads are generally regarded as well-built machines. Lenovo IdeaPads....not quite as prestigious.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1