2 Replies - 1366 Views - Last Post: 07 June 2007 - 09:19 AM

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Intel updates compilers for multicore era

Post icon  Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:13 AM

"Combining these capabilities in a cooperative and coordinated manner brings our customers added performance benefits and compiler reliability, which in turn gives greater PC responsiveness for gamers and everyday PC users"

Intel has announced major updates for its C++ and Fortran tools, updates that are aimed at making it easier for programmers to exploit thread-level and data-level parallelism in multicore processors. via Ars Technica

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Intel updates compilers for multicore era

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Intel updates compilers for multicore era

Posted 05 June 2007 - 02:54 PM

Sweet. I have always wanted to use the Intel compiler. Believe it or not this is the biggest reason I would ever install Linux on my computer. I have wanted to get it ever since Intel first said, "Hey is ANYONE going to write a compiler that uses MMX?" and made their own. You get the feeling that Intel gets irritated when they go though all the trouble of revolutionizing the computer world, just to see the advances ignored.

I keep waiting for AMD to get into the compiler game too. It makes sense to me. I realize that in the beginning Intel's compiler was not quite as good as some of the others, but they have gotten very good, and normally are cutting edge. AMD on the other hand has no real way to push their new technologies into the hands of developers (though I think the gaming world will always be willing to use assembly to add in the AMD advances).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• printf("I'm a %XR",195936478);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Intel updates compilers for multicore era

Posted 07 June 2007 - 09:19 AM

For those who would like to learn how to make the most of multi-core architecture in their programs, I'd like to recommend: "Multi-Core Programming" by Shameem Akhter and Jason Roberts (Intel Press)

I got this one free with my processor.
This book has got scores of code samples in C++, Assembly and .NET on using Multi-threads.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1