6 Replies - 5658 Views - Last Post: 07 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Few Actionscript questions

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:08 PM

Hello everyone. I have a few questions i hope that some of you can answer me on.

I'll just jump straight into it.

• What should be learned? Actionscript 2.0 or 3.0 ?
  • If Actionscript 3.0. It's told to be veery hard to learn, is this true?
  • Any suggestions for a book for the choicen edition of Actionscript that i should get?
  • Or is there any videos i should watch?
  • Am i right to use Flashdevelop as IDE?

Thanks a lot. Hopefully I'll get the answers i need.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Few Actionscript questions

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Few Actionscript questions

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:40 AM

View PostMiikalsen, on 27 August 2012 - 01:08 PM, said:

Hello everyone. I have a few questions i hope that some of you can answer me on.

• Any suggestions for a book for the choicen edition of Actionscript that i should get?

1.) 3.O, More advanced and powerful, stay with what the industry is moving towards.
2.) It can be tough at first but it will come over time and there are a bunch of information and great books around.
3.) Well that depends on what you plan to use if for? Games, Web, etc? I can make suggestions based on your purpose.
4.) This can be trivial, while videos are great, I have not really found a great flash guy around the webs.
5.) YES!!! As a UI Programmer I use it at my day job and during the night when I'm working on my own projects.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:06 PM

View PostGabeTHEGeek, on 31 August 2012 - 07:40 AM, said:

1.) 3.O, More advanced and powerful, stay with what the industry is moving towards.
2.) It can be tough at first but it will come over time and there are a bunch of information and great books around.
3.) Well that depends on what you plan to use if for? Games, Web, etc? I can make suggestions based on your purpose.
4.) This can be trivial, while videos are great, I have not really found a great flash guy around the webs.
5.) YES!!! As a UI Programmer I use it at my day job and during the night when I'm working on my own projects.

If I can continue from where the OP left off and ask some questions of my own in answer to your post here... I'm sure the OP won't mind he seeing as they haven't yet posted and it's been over a week.

Supposing that I was planning to learn to write Flash games - what books/resources would you recommend?

Also, what exactly is Flashdevelop? Forgive me, but I'm quite a newbie to Flash and AS. Wikipedia tells me FlashDevelop is an IDE/code-editor for "Adobe Flash application development". I'm a bit confused on this count - does it work in conjunction with Adobe Flash, by handling the code whilst Flash handles the movie clips/graphics? Or am I getting it wrong?

I'd appreciate it if you could answer my questions - just another Flash newb looking to learn. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:21 AM

View PostHashim1, on 17 September 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

If I can continue from where the OP left off and ask some questions of my own in answer to your post here... I'm sure the OP won't mind he seeing as they haven't yet posted and it's been over a week.

Supposing that I was planning to learn to write Flash games - what books/resources would you recommend?

Also, what exactly is Flashdevelop? Forgive me, but I'm quite a newbie to Flash and AS. Wikipedia tells me FlashDevelop is an IDE/code-editor for "Adobe Flash application development". I'm a bit confused on this count - does it work in conjunction with Adobe Flash, by handling the code whilst Flash handles the movie clips/graphics? Or am I getting it wrong?

I'd appreciate it if you could answer my questions - just another Flash newb looking to learn. :)

There is loads of tutorials at http://www.flashgametuts.com/

Flashdevelop is an open source IDE, so you write, compile run and debug your code in it. It is an all in-one development kit.

good luck with your games
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:06 PM

View PostFunkmachine, on 06 October 2012 - 07:21 AM, said:

Flashdevelop is an open source IDE, so you write, compile run and debug your code in it. It is an all in-one development kit.

Thanks for your reply. :)

Thanks for that, I'll be sure to check it out.

I see. How does it differ from Adobe Flash, though? I'm assuming it's basically a code editor, and therefore unable to create and deal with stuff like movie clips and symbols?

Much appreciated. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

View PostHashim1, on 06 October 2012 - 02:06 PM, said:

View PostFunkmachine, on 06 October 2012 - 07:21 AM, said:

Thanks for your reply. :)

Thanks for that, I'll be sure to check it out.

I see. How does it differ from Adobe Flash, though? I'm assuming it's basically a code editor, and therefore unable to create and deal with stuff like movie clips and symbols?

Much appreciated. :)

It would take me too long to explain exactly how it work,
This should answer any questions you have. It can deal with movie clips and symbols.
http://active.tutspl...op-intro-basix/
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

View PostHashim1, on 17 September 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

Here is a shamless plug to my site I run. I put this list together a good time ago. This list is meant for game devs but the logic applies to anything. http://www.baltimore...-resource-guide

Two sites I would add to the list Include
http://jacksondunstan.com/
http://www.senocular.com/

Now to answer some other questions that was asked. Yes FD is just a code editor and you can create art with code(recommended to learn). You can build all your graphics in flash though if you need to and export your library as a SWC file. This allows you to bring in the assets in code If I missed something feel free to ask, I promise to be quicker next time.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1