2 Replies - 320 Views - Last Post: 27 August 2012 - 06:32 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

howdy folks

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:06 PM

I'm new to D.I.C.
I've been frequenting a few other forums but I figured that since I already come here to steal some of your great content to learn cool stuff from, I might as well sign up for the forums.
I'm actually a full-time paramedic w/ 10++ years on the street who has been teaching myself about various means of programming for the last year or two. I would like to eventually start developing applications that I know would be meaningful for agencies and departments in my profession and eventually get my butt out of the truck and off the street.
My strength so far is PHP and ajax kinda stuff. I feel comfortable doing whatever I may need to do with PHP. But, I'm getting more and more angry about PDO and mysqli because it seems that now that I'm competent with standard mysql extension, we have to use stupid PDO now. Ultimately, I'm into a wide array of computer and programming interests as I'm also fiddling around with python, C++, and VB.NET. However, I'm more of a linux dude; so the only reason I've really been messing with VB is because I came across some good VB.NET at some yardsales and could not turn them down.
Anyways, thanks for having me. I look forward to some great exchange and discussions.
-thelung

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: howdy folks

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: howdy folks

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:29 PM

Hey, thelung. Welcome to DIC!

Always nice to see new PHP people around here :)

View Postthelung, on 28 August 2012 - 12:06 AM, said:

But, I'm getting more and more angry about PDO and mysqli because it seems that now that I'm competent with standard mysql extension, we have to use stupid PDO now.

I certainly understand what you mean, but you shouldn't be angry about PDO and MySQLi. They are just providing more powerful and secure ways of using MySQL. The old MySQL API will still be around for a few years, so you've got time to adapt :)

Anyways, you can use MySQLi's procedural interface in pretty much the exact same way as you would use the old MySQL API. The only changes are the "i" in the function names (like mysqli_query), and sometimes rearranged function parameter positions. It's not hard at all to get used to.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: howdy folks

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:32 PM

Thanks. I'll have to look into mysqli a bit more. I've been having such a hard time using PDO in my php classes. But, from what I've been reading that is not too uncommon.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1