4 Replies - 952 Views - Last Post: 28 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Miss Rejected my J-Query Mini Project

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:52 AM

Hi

Today, i was watching lynda tutorial and made by jquery based mini-project, but miss said some things which i think was complete stupidity but still have to confirm via forum.

I downloaded the latest version of JQuery ( jquery-1.8.0.min.js ) from JQuery website.

Now based on that, i made a small JQuery app for that mini-project.

Now when i showed this to miss, she gave me answer which i was shocked, i wanted to argue, but wanted to confirm 100% before its correct.

She scrolled that ( jquery-1.8.0.min.js) file instead of seeing my project and highlighted one line which said " text area " and asked where is this text area used in your project ?

I said that this is library and not everything can be implemented, she rejected my project and said you have to implement the all things mentioned in that library file and told me to remove things from that library which are not used in my project.

I was shocked, i mean how can i edit and work around with library file for my mini-project and remove all the things from library which are not used in my project.

We are at beginner level and just have one small chapter of jquery in our portion and still learning CSS and HTML.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Miss Rejected my J-Query Mini Project

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Miss Rejected my J-Query Mini Project

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:18 AM

Maybe you could clarify your question. What was the objective of your project that you were given? Did the project given to you specify that you had to use JQuery?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:23 AM

yeah, objective of my project was that when we click a " City Icon " the information of city automatically pops up.

Yeah, i did specify jquery and that was reason she went into j-query library file (v 1.8 ) and told to delete all the things from library such as text area and hundreds of stuff which is not used in my v small project.

So, i mean who edits the library ? library remains the same right ? we just have to develop our own jquery code based on the library functions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:21 AM

Why she would want you to do this is beyond me. The only possible reason I could see is that you would have to read through the entire JQuery library source and sort out all of the dependencies yourself and then minimize it yourself. You would have to run JQuery's applicable unit test (I think they host them on github) against your hacked up version each time you make a change to make sure you didn't break anything. This exercise could prove very tedious if done manually.

The automatic alternative version is to run your whole project (Jquery and .js files) through Google's closure compiler. I have no experience with it but it seems to have ways to strip out unnecessary and dead code. Maybe try it and see what happens. I have no idea what the output of it would be and if it would even give you the results you want.

For what sounds like a beginner class you're in, going through the JQuery source code manually and having an understanding in order to rip out unused parts seems like a huge undertaking if that's what your teacher is asking.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

Are you sure she didn't just want you to have to actually write the entire Javascript for the project yourself? Sure, jQuery is a great library, but it hides a lot of the real "Javascript" from you. For a beginner Javascript class, I for one would not want students to use it.

With that said. No sane person* goes through the jQuery code deleting stuff they don't need. (Especially not the "min" version!) You either use jQuery, or you don't.

(* Of course, people interested in knowing the internals of jQuery don't count.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1