13 Replies - 1272 Views - Last Post: 30 August 2012 - 12:41 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Online schools, any experiences out there? BS in web/sw programming

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:40 PM

I am trying to figure out which online school would be suitable for me I want a BS where i can go through code and create \ debug sw. Sadly I do not know much about the jobs available or getting a degree online. From what I see java and .net seem to come up alot. I have experience with websites and am reading through a c++ book, trying to get some insight on what these jobs might be like. I have been working in the IT field for a while. Learning outside of a classroom and certificates have not been a problem.

Glad to read some of the posts on here about University of Phoenix graduates being hired and good experiences. The only schools i have looked into are Colorado TU and UOP. Seems like i would have to work in the field to get any real experience with a language and most people try to learn concepts \ the basics.

Any ideas? even where to go for review? careeroverflow seems to be a popular choice but it seems to be offline or just a job listing site now.

Thanks for reading!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Online schools, any experiences out there? BS in web/sw programming

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Online schools, any experiences out there? BS in web/sw programming

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:19 PM

If at all possible, avoid online college. The social interaction and experience of College is almost essential to really understanding things and getting connections. Unless your job, position, or situation requires online college, the only advice I have for you is: DON'T.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:19 PM

Just dont do it. Online colleges are very rarely accredited, and youll get a degree that means nothing with a bill thats way more than a normal college.

a general rule of thumb is to avoid anything with the words: online, technical, institute and academy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Apokio  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:39 PM

I finished a BS program with UOP about 2 years ago. I can you tell you that they will teach you the fundamentals of programming and debugging other peoples code. I went in already knowing Java so it was really easy for me to complete the assignments and I had an instructor that gave me extra work to do to further my skills. For others in the class it was really challenging and I because I got to see other students source I could tell they had no clue where to start but progessed as the class went on.

I will say if I would have had the option at that time in my life I would have chosen a local university. I know I got a good education but I would have liked to work with other students face to face and had that experience. UOP also costs more than your local community college/university but less than your Ivy League University. Basically they get the max that you can get in student loans in a four year degree.

I have not had a problem with getting job offers but since I was already working in an IT job as basically a system admin type I haven't found a full time programming job that will start me out close to my current salary. This is just my 2 cents. It was worth it to me and I have no regrets since at that time in my life it was the best option. If I decide to go for a Masters I will do it with a more traditional University.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:58 PM

View PostNecroWinter, on 29 August 2012 - 04:19 PM, said:

Just dont do it. Online colleges are very rarely accredited, and youll get a degree that means nothing with a bill thats way more than a normal college.

a general rule of thumb is to avoid anything with the words: online, technical, institute and academy.

No, they're just fine. The thing is that you should prefer a local or offline college if at all possible so you have the extra resources, connections, and the overall experience. Online College is generally better for the working, nursing, pregnant, or stay at home mom/dad. Kids and full time jobs change your life, and with it the way you can actually spend your time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:56 PM

View PostLemur, on 29 August 2012 - 03:58 PM, said:

View PostNecroWinter, on 29 August 2012 - 04:19 PM, said:

No, they're just fine. The thing is that you should prefer a local or offline college if at all possible so you have the extra resources, connections, and the overall experience. Online College is generally better for the working, nursing, pregnant, or stay at home mom/dad. Kids and full time jobs change your life, and with it the way you can actually spend your time.

"Fine" is a term thats rather loose. If you want an accredited school where your degree is actually recognized, you really ought to avoid online schools as very few of them meet this standard. It would be nice if these for profit schools werent simply exploiting people in hard situations, but thats just not reality. For profit schools are the McDonalds of education. Im not trying to insult anyone who went to one or is going to one, but reality is reality.

and im not saying all online schools are for profit. like i said, "rule of thumb"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 Apokio  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:49 AM

View PostNecroWinter, on 29 August 2012 - 06:56 PM, said:

"Fine" is a term thats rather loose. If you want an accredited school where your degree is actually recognized, you really ought to avoid online schools as very few of them meet this standard.

I never realy understand people when they make this statement. The two schools the OP asked about are both accredited. I think most people know who University of Phoenix and Colorado Techinical University are as they advertise all the time. Even is you go to one of the lesser know schools with online classes that are accredited, will anyone know them anymore than Central Texas College or Texas State Techinical College? (Just chose those because they are local schools that are traditional schools). I agree with Lemur that the OP should look into a more traditional school if they have that option but there is nothing wrong with going to an accredited online only program if that program is accredited and will get you a degree that has the same value as one from a traditional school.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:51 AM

View PostApokio, on 30 August 2012 - 05:49 AM, said:

View PostNecroWinter, on 29 August 2012 - 06:56 PM, said:

"Fine" is a term thats rather loose. If you want an accredited school where your degree is actually recognized, you really ought to avoid online schools as very few of them meet this standard.

I never realy understand people when they make this statement. The two schools the OP asked about are both accredited. I think most people know who University of Phoenix and Colorado Techinical University are as they advertise all the time. Even is you go to one of the lesser know schools with online classes that are accredited, will anyone know them anymore than Central Texas College or Texas State Techinical College? (Just chose those because they are local schools that are traditional schools). I agree with Lemur that the OP should look into a more traditional school if they have that option but there is nothing wrong with going to an accredited online only program if that program is accredited and will get you a degree that has the same value as one from a traditional school.

if UOP is not accredited by ABET, then the degrees are not equal. Sorry, but the truth of the matter is, degrees from online colleges are not taken as seriously as degrees from traditional universities

http://main.abet.org...tionSearch.aspx

I honestly feel terrible for anyone who was tricked into going to a for profit school. I wish there was more our government would do to regulate them and find justice for the people who have to pay money for a degree that does next to nothing, and sometimes nothing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 Apokio  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:54 AM

There is more than one accreditation organization that is recongized by the US Department of Education. I feel terrible for the people who judge someone's worth by what schools name is on the diploma. I have put in my two cents and we can agree to disagree.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:27 AM

if UOP is not accredited by ABET, then the degrees are not equal.

ABET accreditation is for engineering programs. Lots of traditional colleges without engineering programs can and are still regionally accredited.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:47 AM

View PostApokio, on 30 August 2012 - 08:54 AM, said:

I feel terrible for the people who judge someone's worth by what schools name is on the diploma.

I dont judge someones worth by the college they attend. For all I know, you could be an amazing programmer. With the assumption that you ARE a great programmer, I feel like many people WILL do precisely what you thought I was doing.

For the record, if I was hiring, and someone put a resume with UOP on it, I would at least give them an interview. I would do the same with a person who has no degree and claims to have a lot of experience, or someone with an associates. I dont think that people who goto for profit colleges are lesser than me, I just feel like they are unfortunate to have gone to one. One big reason being the price.

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 30 August 2012 - 09:27 AM, said:

if UOP is not accredited by ABET, then the degrees are not equal.

ABET accreditation is for engineering programs. Lots of traditional colleges without engineering programs can and are still regionally accredited.

I thought ABET did CS as well. There is another name though, CSAB or something to that effect.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:12 AM

More and more, CS is being placed in Engineering rather than on its own or in Mathematics.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 DarenR  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:11 PM

View PostNecroWinter, on 29 August 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

according to this statement he just insisted that CMU Online is a farce and should be avoided...... CMU Online = Carnegie Mellon University Online --- you might have heard of CMU? You know one of this country's best software/ robotics schools......
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:41 PM

View PostDarenR, on 30 August 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

View PostNecroWinter, on 29 August 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

according to this statement he just insisted that CMU Online is a farce and should be avoided...... CMU Online = Carnegie Mellon University Online --- you might have heard of CMU? You know one of this country's best software/ robotics schools......

the term "rare" and "general" do not mean always. My statement without question made room for exceptions. Also, going to a good university through online means isnt a bad decision at all(assuming it works for you). You are making a massive strawman argument out of this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1