8 Replies - 2313 Views - Last Post: 29 August 2012 - 08:07 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Wondering where to start

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:36 PM

Hello Peeps, i've been wondering how to make Simple Games (Not For Money or w/e you can get from it)
Just Entertainment, Just Something for me to do.
i know Game Developing and Learning Takes time So, i was wondering if anyone would just teach me the basic steps as a beginner then work myself up.
I'm A good lister i just need someone to help me.
thanks ;]

(Also, if i did something wrong in this post Sorry-Or In Wrong Spot)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Wondering where to start

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Wondering where to start

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:40 PM

Have you read our pinned resource thread? Also, how much programming do you know? We can't sit here and teach you everything you need to know about game programming. A lot of it is no different than programming other applications. Pick your language, start learning it, and go from there. Make some simple games as you progress like Rock-Paper-Scissors or a guessing game.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:49 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 28 August 2012 - 09:40 PM, said:

Have you read our pinned resource thread? Also, how much programming do you know? We can't sit here and teach you everything you need to know about game programming. A lot of it is no different than programming other applications. Pick your language, start learning it, and go from there. Make some simple games as you progress like Rock-Paper-Scissors or a guessing game.

No i havnt read that(ill get on it now) and i have no expierience
My Main Question is where is the best Place to Start Learning.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:13 AM

You're already at a great place to start learning, just read the pinned topics which point you toward resources, books and tutorials. Make a start in your chosen language, which the resources will also help with and then post some topics when you get stuck.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:06 AM

View Poststayscrisp, on 29 August 2012 - 01:13 AM, said:

You're already at a great place to start learning, just read the pinned topics which point you toward resources, books and tutorials. Make a start in your chosen language, which the resources will also help with and then post some topics when you get stuck.

Ok thanks ;]
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:57 AM

With no prior programming experience, if you want to get into game programming I suggest you read this. It's a long read, but it covers the most popular languages, then makes book, library, link and tool recommendations for each.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:00 AM

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:03 AM

View PostAetherZ, on 29 August 2012 - 12:49 AM, said:

Also, how much programming do you know?

i have no expierience

Your best place to start is to learn to program. You've picked one of the (if not the) single most difficult projects to tackle, & with no knowledge it will not be possible.

It's like saying, I don't know how to change oil, but I want to build my own Ferrari from spare parts.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:07 AM

There are two complementary skills that you'll need to learn as a programmer. (more than two, of course, but let's talk about two). First, you need to learn the techniques of programming: how to get the machine to do your will. Also first, you need to learn to have a clear idea of what your will actually is.
These are complementary because technical possibilities suggest and drive imaginative possibilities, and vice versa. As you learn to do things, you get ideas of things to do, and as you get ideas of things to do, it inspires you to learn new things.

Where to start? As the boys have said: start simple. Learn to write a simple arithmetic game like nim, then move on from there.

This is a great place to ask questions, so please do ask. Read Eric Raymond's piece on "How to ask questions the smart way" (google it!) so you can make the most effective use of this resource. When you have a question, try to be as clear as possible about what exactly you're asking. "I'm having a problem with my tic-tac-toe program" tells me nothing. "When I run this tic-tac-toe game, it doesn't detect when X wins on the diagonal" is a very clear problem - when you include your code, I'll know right where to go. As a bonus, the more clarity you can get on your questions, the more likely you'll solve your own problem before you hit 'post'.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1