9 Replies - 1879 Views - Last Post: 26 September 2012 - 01:28 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Programming inspiration.

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:20 PM

Hey guys, just wondering. What do you use for inspiration while programming? Do you listen to music? Watch tv? Sit in a pitch black room, with windows painted black, sitting naked in a metal chair?

Whatever you do, tell us.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Programming inspiration.

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Programming inspiration.

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

My software design documentation, state diagrams, class diagrams, and UX sketches.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

The thought of finishing what I'm doing at the moment will give me a breather... which just stays as a thought as it doesn't happen.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:06 AM

Try the search function of the site. There's a hundred threads like this of "Where do you get ideas?", "What music do you listen to while coding?", "Do you wear pants while you program?", "What do you do to get past a mental block?" blah blah blah

Try the search function of the site. There's a hundred threads like this of "Where do you get ideas?", "What music do you listen to while coding?", "Do you wear pants while you program?", "What do you do to get past a mental block?" blah blah blah
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:08 PM

The inspiration isn't music, TV, darkened room or being naked. It is the drive, desire and passion you have to attempt in coding a program. If you are just beginning then try simple game programs and slowly learn the language and the parameters required for them and you will gain familiarity with the commands and user controls. If you are intermediate or advanced then you would already know what causes you to make the effort. Inspiration comes from within and not external influences. It doesn't take long to ruin a well thought out program by using alcohol or wacky weed. There is a pattern: sketch an output screen that you find fits the results you want, determine the inputs you will have at your disposal and then (the good stuff) how you get from one (input) to the other (output). Having an argument with yourself about storage requirements versus data efficiency can sometimes devolve into finding innovative methods which can give a programmer a temporary high when a decision is reached (the AHA moment).
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:12 PM

Inspiration: going hungry. That will usually drive someone to actually work.

Though I'm a beleiver that "form follows function".
I don't start with what the GUI should look like. How do I even know what it should look like until I've outlined the features and functions and operation? So I tend to design the objects and interaction THEN worry about the GUI. Though often you have to do them hand-in-hand so you can see if the code you're using is doing what you think it will do.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:01 AM

Programming in itself is an inspiration...Trying to fix a problem you believe you can fix
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:04 PM

Generally speaking, my inspiration comes from the love of the work its self. But also, if you think about it, the field is really quite amazing, as you have the ability to solve a lot of problems and advance technology. Its really the perfect mix of logic and creativity (assuming you're one of the people coming up with the ideas). With these two, im always willing to program. I had to work on some projects that others might find to be mundane (for the government), and I still managed to find a lot of joy in it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:07 AM

Thinking of how helpful your finished project will be to humankind :)

This post has been edited by erkant: 09 September 2012 - 01:08 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:28 AM

There's always something new in programming. Have 1 problem and you'll be amazed of how many solutions there can be. Although a lot of programmers in our offices always have earphones that made them deaf to the outside world while programming, it is not really the music that drives us to develop.

In my case, why do I program?

Because it's fun. It's challenging. Even if I do the same job called programming everyday, it's not always the same. Programming is so dynamic.

I knew people who does the same job everyday, reading dociments, encoding them, calculating things, but everyday is the same story. I don't want a life like that. It's boring.

Programming isn't like that. It always offers something new. It always has new challenges that may make or break you depending on how determined you are. For me, programming itself is my inspiration to programming because its own nature is what drives me to it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1