7 Replies - 917 Views - Last Post: 30 August 2012 - 10:39 AM

#1 Precaseptica  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 53
  • Joined: 26-December 09

Unable to edit files with Yii framework

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:02 AM

Hello there.

I recently landed a job that requires me to get comfortable with the Yii framework. I have no experience at all with anything other than hand-written code, which makes this quite a leap for me. I'm trying to follow the official toturials here: http://www.yiiframew...om/screencasts/ but I'm hitting a few snags on my way.

The most recent problem I am having is during step 2 of the screencasts. When I try to save changes made to the index.php file in the View folder, I am getting an "access denied" error message from Dreamweaver. I can edit files in the Controller no problem, but the View files seem to be off limits. I tried in Notepad++ as well to make sure it wasn't some weird DW control problem, but that gave me the same problem.

Is there any config switch I have to turn on somewhere?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Unable to edit files with Yii framework

#2 KingCuddles  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Regular

Reputation: 176
  • View blog
  • Posts: 496
  • Joined: 20-December 08

Re: Unable to edit files with Yii framework

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:52 AM

I would assume this is a permissions issue, you would need to grant write permissions for the file/folder in question - take a look a chmod
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 RudiVisser  Icon User is offline

  • .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

Reputation: 1002
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,562
  • Joined: 05-June 09

Re: Unable to edit files with Yii framework

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:09 AM

Yes this is nothing to do with Yii and just your operating system.

Since it's Dreamweaver and you're on Windows, you can go to the root of your project directory, right click it, hit Properties, then Security tab, then click 'Edit...' and ensure that your account has the Full Control permission Allowed. The changes should be applied recursively through the tree, making everything writeable.

IF that still doesn't help, it probably didn't change them recursively, but it's OK you can force that, do the same steps, but instead of clicking 'Edit...' hit 'Advanced' at the bottom. Either change the owner, or add new permissions for yourself with 'Full Control', then tick the Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object, hit OK.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#4 Precaseptica  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 53
  • Joined: 26-December 09

Re: Unable to edit files with Yii framework

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:51 AM

View PostRudiVisser, on 30 August 2012 - 03:09 AM, said:

Yes this is nothing to do with Yii and just your operating system.

Since it's Dreamweaver and you're on Windows, you can go to the root of your project directory, right click it, hit Properties, then Security tab, then click 'Edit...' and ensure that your account has the Full Control permission Allowed. The changes should be applied recursively through the tree, making everything writeable.

IF that still doesn't help, it probably didn't change them recursively, but it's OK you can force that, do the same steps, but instead of clicking 'Edit...' hit 'Advanced' at the bottom. Either change the owner, or add new permissions for yourself with 'Full Control', then tick the Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object, hit OK.


This does not work. It still says access denied for the folders I need to edit, but it does work recursively because I'm getting error messages for folders and subfolders.

Just to be clear I'm working on my personal computer and I do have administrative rights over the system. I have never encountered this type of file-lock before.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 RudiVisser  Icon User is offline

  • .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

Reputation: 1002
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,562
  • Joined: 05-June 09

Re: Unable to edit files with Yii framework

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:38 AM

Have you tried changing the owner of the files?

Access Denied would be 100% impossible if you're the owner, with the sole exception of the file being in use by another process. You can use a tool like Unlocker to find that out.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#6 Precaseptica  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 53
  • Joined: 26-December 09

Re: Unable to edit files with Yii framework

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:18 AM

View PostRudiVisser, on 30 August 2012 - 09:38 AM, said:

Have you tried changing the owner of the files?

Access Denied would be 100% impossible if you're the owner, with the sole exception of the file being in use by another process. You can use a tool like Unlocker to find that out.


I followed your steps as well as this tutorial: http://www.blogsdna....n-windows-7.htm but I'm still stuck with an error message saying Access Denied when I try to either grant myself full control over the folders or when I try to edit the files in them.

EDIT: I tried Unlocker as well. It says nothing is locked in the folder.

This post has been edited by Precaseptica: 30 August 2012 - 09:28 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 Precaseptica  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 53
  • Joined: 26-December 09

Re: Unable to edit files with Yii framework

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:33 AM

This worked: http://answers.yahoo...19034306AAE8WYt

Thank you all for your help!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 RudiVisser  Icon User is offline

  • .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

Reputation: 1002
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,562
  • Joined: 05-June 09

Re: Unable to edit files with Yii framework

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:39 AM

View PostPrecaseptica, on 30 August 2012 - 05:33 PM, said:

This worked: http://answers.yahoo...19034306AAE8WYt

Thank you all for your help!

Hey, I said exactly those steps in my first post! :D

But then I edited it, to say "Your Account" instead of "Everyone" :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1