Collection Intervention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

21 Replies - 1399 Views - Last Post: 31 August 2012 - 09:04 AM

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Collection Intervention

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:42 AM

So has anyone seen Collection Intervention on syfy? I find it puzzling that someone can amass so many toys, get attached to them, and wonder why they have no money. There was this Star Wars couple who had their entire house filled with toys and when someone offered to buy a single Ewok the wife started to cry saying how much she was attached to the toys, etc. How on earth can you get attached to friggen toys?!
Well anyways just seeing all the toys takes me back to my childhood and got me to thinking, what toy(s) everyone had when they were younger that they wish they stilled had today because of the collector value? For instance I had almost all the g1 transformers before they were stolen during moving and I also had an originial Star wars emporer that you had to mail for. After I looked up their current value, I figured I lost an estimated $50k worth of collectables.

you can find Collection Intervention at syfy

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Collection Intervention

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Collection Intervention

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:03 AM

POPULAR

Did this move occur while you were a kid living with parents, or after? Because as a parent, I can tell you that if it was the former, your parents most likely threw them away. Moving is like a free chance to offload a bunch of your kids' shit and blame it on faceless, nameless scumbags who aren't you.
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:08 AM

I'm far too young for any of my toys to be collectable and quite frankly I don't recall having many toys that weren't insanely mass produced or were directly from some short lived show that no one liked...and thanks to game stop I've sense sold all my game boy shit that might've one day been collectable. so other than my old gameboy stuff, I don't really thing anything I had would've ever been collectable. maybe one day I'll realize something I had was of value but I doubt it.

h4nnib4l: Ha! I think my mom did that too me a few times :P

Actually people do steel stuff in moves. We lost all of our nice pots and pans becuase we left them on the curb by the moving truck right in front of our house for about 20 minutes it was at least a grand's worth of cooking stuff. It's apparently a fairly common occurrence.

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 30 August 2012 - 06:13 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:10 AM

View PostDarenR, on 30 August 2012 - 08:42 AM, said:

After I looked up their current value, I figured I lost an estimated $50k worth of collectables.

This is what makes them valuables. If everyone kept everything, then none of it would be rare.

In 1989 I bought the 3rd release of Snakes Eyes, G.I. Joe figure & left it in the package, knowing what I knew of baseball cards & unopened wax pax. It was $2, & I sold it for $30 like 10 years ago.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:12 AM

My wife loves buying toys for the kids. I'm tick-tocking the days until we move when I can pull the old "These won't fit in the new house!" line, and get rid of 'em!

It's just too much things!
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:25 AM

I've found that if you leave a loaded AR-15 leaning against the pile of stuff out front, it tends to not walk away.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:46 AM

POPULAR

I find a AR-15 leaning against a pile of stuff...

and I take that shit!
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:49 AM

View Posth4nnib4l, on 30 August 2012 - 09:03 AM, said:

Did this move occur while you were a kid living with parents, or after? Because as a parent, I can tell you that if it was the former, your parents most likely threw them away. Moving is like a free chance to offload a bunch of your kids' shit and blame it on faceless, nameless scumbags who aren't you.

Happened while I lived with my mother--- she had stuff stolen as well like a couch and some jewelery..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:08 AM

View Posth4nnib4l, on 30 August 2012 - 08:25 AM, said:

I've found that if you leave a loaded AR-15 leaning against the pile of stuff out front, it tends to not walk away.

I've found that if you leave a guy leaning against the pile of stuff out front, and he's got an AR-15 (loaded or not) it tends not to walk away.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#10 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:22 AM

Some historical context: Toys that we play with
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:30 AM

When I was a kid, I used to see my mother only on saturdays. Because of this, she spoiled me outrageously. Because it was the 80s, all of the original Star Wars figures were really popular, so I had most of those that were available at the time (that's a lot of figures and vehicles), along with a number of other 'collections' consisting of most of the toys from a range - Visionaries, Transformers, MASK, Thundercats, and so on.

One day, when I was about 11 (and not on a day when I was over visiting), my mother's ex partner set fire to her house and destroyed it all. My mother was fine, in case you were wondering. She was fortunately out at the time.

About 6 or 7 years ago, I was in my local library, and I spotted a few books on pricing up old collectible toys, so I stopped and had a look at them. I ended up taking the book out, then when I got home, I worked out roughly how much my mother's ex had cost me, and it was in the region of 100,000. Some of the toys I had it seemed were remarkably rare, and therefore were worth a fortune.

Of course, I never would have got that much for them, all had been taken out of their wrappers and played with, bits lost or broken. You know, the usual crap that happens when a kid plays with their toys. But it does just go to show that all that crap your kids are playing with today might actually be worth something one day.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:42 AM

View PostBort, on 30 August 2012 - 09:30 AM, said:

Of course, I never would have got that much for them, all had been taken out of their wrappers and played with, bits lost or broken. You know, the usual crap that happens when a kid plays with their toys. But it does just go to show that all that crap your kids are playing with today might actually be worth something one day. potentially valuable, so you're an idiot to let them actually play with them.

Come on, people, think a little. You have a potential collector's item, might be worth, like, tens of dollars some day, and you're gonna let some careless drooling child use it as a plaything? What do you think these are, toys or something?
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• The Watcher Outside Your Window

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:56 AM

Sounds like you need a talk from Tiny Spock. Call them what you will, you know deep inside that they are toys. The purpose of toys is to be played with and not playing with them and storing them in a box would be - illogical.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:45 AM

when i moved into my house i offloaded a bunch of old toys and shit i kept for no reason. FELT GOOD MAN.

i still have all my old video games though. nobody is getting their greasy dickbeaters on those.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:11 AM

I am in the same boat as Bort. In the 70's - 80's, my brother was a huge star wars fan. He basically had every one of the original toys. When we moved in the 90's, my mum thought his too old for these now, and gave them to charity. If you check the prices of some of these original figures now, in boxes, they can reach as high as 10,000.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +