What have you got through programming?

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

48 Replies - 4442 Views - Last Post: 08 September 2012 - 07:13 AM

• This space intentionally left blank
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What have you got through programming?

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:13 PM

Automation in a lot of mundane daily tasks. Speed of work completion, custom results etc.

For example, when I started working for my current employer, one of the tasks I took on was to go through each product and get the actual cost of the item and calculate our gross margins. This took me over 2 weeks to do as, at the time I only had the information in paper form of the components. I then had to look up costs of each component and add labor. Now, I can generate a report within a minute and not only that, I can perform "What-If" scenerios for when a component has a larger than usual increase at time of ordering. So for example, if say Acetone increases in price. I can pull up the assembly of the products that contain acetone, and put the new price of acetone in as a current cost and it will then calculate what the new margin is and inform me of what I would need to sell the finished product for to maintain my current margin.

tl;dr
When you can control the information and how it is used, the world is your oyster.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:38 AM

The world is a spineless slab of flesh wallowing in its own piss? Sounds about right...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:42 AM

I'd like to say something like "I got REVOLUTION out of my code! FREEDOM and JUSTICE!" ala Anonymous style to over-romanticise what I do, but really I'm actually not that much different from a decade ago when I wrote C programs. I'm still writing game engines and even at my job, they still need me to "put the speed into" their existing visual software.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Great::Southern::Land
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:13 AM

I have a great job, with great people. I am able to experiment, learn and innovate on a daily basis. I love getting to work, i often work at home of my own volition. Its a great feeling when you get paid to do something you love.

On a daily basis I get to work within an I.T environment within a company that is not I.T focused, which believe me is a great thing because you do have the opportunity to effect changes that streamline the business and processes. Just as important I and my employer are able to improve peoples daily activities via the development of tools and automation's that allow people to focus their energies on their skillset. I love it! Its great when you can give people the tools to really excel at their occupation.

So i guess saying all that, the best thing I have got is a satisfaction of achievement and an overall feeling of happiness at my competencies as a programmer and developer.

This post has been edited by DaneAU: 08 September 2012 - 07:18 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First