4 Replies - 458 Views - Last Post: 01 September 2012 - 08:54 AM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Web Traffic question

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:12 AM

Sorry, wont let me post this in the SEO forum, so I thought I would try here. Just a general question really. Does anyone know of any website or something which can give me an idea of where a website gets it traffic from? I dont want one of those site which gives a rough estimate as to how much traffic it receives (alexa, compete etc). What I am basically looking for is where a website spends it budget on advertising (Google AdWord, genre specific engines etc)

Cheers

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Web Traffic question

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Web Traffic question

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:56 PM

Google analytics will show you the type and sources of traffic you are getting. Advertising I couldn't help you as much with
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:59 PM

If you are running Linux/Unix, I prefer webalizer over Google Analytics. I suggest this because it actually analyzes the Apache Logs, where as Google gathers its' data from outside of your server. The entire world trusts Google Analytics. I've always prefered webalizer, because it's running on my server.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:05 PM

Its not actually my source of traffic I want to monitor, its a competitor. I dont want to see how many unique visitors they get, I basically know that. I know that they dont use adwords, but they still pull in quite good numbers. I am trying to invesigate where their source of traffic is coming from, if possible. So tools like analytics would be no use for this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:54 AM

You can't use Google Analitics to view a competitor, because it requires code to be placed on the website.

I don't think you can view traffic for a site that is not yours, other than alexa.com, & that isn't 100% accurate.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1