How do I make a splash screen?

  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3

33 Replies - 7145 Views - Last Post: 30 January 2013 - 03:27 PM Rate Topic: -----

#1 Darkranger85  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 1
  • View blog
  • Posts: 148
  • Joined: 31-August 12

How do I make a splash screen?

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:40 PM

I'm have an application that I'm putting together in Microsoft Visual C# 2010.

What I need to do is make it so that this program starts when the user boots up the computer and a splash screen comes up as it starts.

I have found numerous guides and tutorials on making splash screens, but I just can't seem to follow them and in the end I just get confused.

If someone could help me out, I would be extremely grateful! I'm not looking for anyone to do it for me, but I really need a helping hand.

Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How do I make a splash screen?

#2 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is offline

  • Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

Reputation: 5675
  • View blog
  • Posts: 12,192
  • Joined: 02-June 10

Re: How do I make a splash screen?

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:43 PM

Make a form.
Make it borderless.
Add whatever graphics you like.
.Show() it.

There's not much to get confused about. Can you be more specific.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

  • Suitor #2
  • member icon



Reputation: 9572
  • View blog
  • Posts: 36,247
  • Joined: 12-June 08

Re: How do I make a splash screen?

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:56 PM

I always thought it was:
Create a borderless form.
right click on project -> properties -> application -> splash scree -> select form.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is offline

  • Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

Reputation: 5675
  • View blog
  • Posts: 12,192
  • Joined: 02-June 10

Re: How do I make a splash screen?

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:16 PM

That works too. But I'm a micromanaging control freak. I like my app to start, make decisions, write log entries, check user permissions, blend me a frappicino, customize the splash screen to the user, use the splash screen as the application log-in screen, report back 25 parameters to the main application, then make me a sammich.

That works too. But I'm a micromanaging control freak. I like my app to start, make decisions, write log entries, check user permissions, blend me a frappicino, customize the splash screen to the user, use the splash screen as the application log-in screen, report back 25 parameters to the main application, then make me a sammich.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 DarenR  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover

Reputation: 497
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,315
  • Joined: 12-January 10

Re: How do I make a splash screen?

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:20 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 31 August 2012 - 04:16 PM, said:

That works too. But I'm a micromanaging control freak. I like my app to start, make decisions, write log entries, check user permissions, blend me a frappicino, customize the splash screen to the user, use the splash screen as the application log-in screen, report back 25 parameters to the main application, then make me a sammich.

That works too. But I'm a micromanaging control freak. I like my app to start, make decisions, write log entries, check user permissions, blend me a frappicino, customize the splash screen to the user, use the splash screen as the application log-in screen, report back 25 parameters to the main application, then make me a sammich.



so what you are saying is that you like frappicino and sandwiches?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#6 Darkranger85  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 1
  • View blog
  • Posts: 148
  • Joined: 31-August 12

Re: How do I make a splash screen?

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:29 PM

Thank you for the replies!

And with respect, there isn't much to be confused about for someone that is experienced in this stuff. To someone that is just getting started, like me, there is plenty to be confused about.

You say to .show() it. But that's the problem that all the tutorials and guides I've read have. They just tell you the code and assume you know where to put it.

Does .show go in the splash form code? Where in the code? Is that going to bring the splash screen up as the computer logs in and my program is launching? I have no idea, I've never done this before. It's a learning experience for me.

So my issue, put in simple terms, is that I don't know how to do the code or where to put it.

I have found guides that tell you elaborate code for screens that fade in and fade out and have all sorts of bars and status info. But they are always vague about where to put the code. They will say things like "Put this code in your "main form." . . . Ok. . . Where? The beginning? The end? Before a certain block of code? Inside a certain block of code? lol

On top of the splash screen, I still can't figure out how to get the program to launch on startup.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 DarenR  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover

Reputation: 497
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,315
  • Joined: 12-January 10

Re: How do I make a splash screen?

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:36 PM

View PostDarkranger85, on 31 August 2012 - 04:29 PM, said:

Thank you for the replies!

And with respect, there isn't much to be confused about for someone that is experienced in this stuff. To someone that is just getting started, like me, there is plenty to be confused about.

You say to .show() it. But that's the problem that all the tutorials and guides I've read have. They just tell you the code and assume you know where to put it.

Does .show go in the splash form code? Where in the code? Is that going to bring the splash screen up as the computer logs in and my program is launching? I have no idea, I've never done this before. It's a learning experience for me.

So my issue, put in simple terms, is that I don't know how to do the code or where to put it.

I have found guides that tell you elaborate code for screens that fade in and fade out and have all sorts of bars and status info. But they are always vague about where to put the code. They will say things like "Put this code in your "main form." . . . Ok. . . Where? The beginning? The end? Before a certain block of code? Inside a certain block of code? lol

On top of the splash screen, I still can't figure out how to get the program to launch on startup.



save yourself some headache since your new to it and just follow Modi's advice
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1  Icon User is online

  • Suitor #2
  • member icon



Reputation: 9572
  • View blog
  • Posts: 36,247
  • Joined: 12-June 08

Re: How do I make a splash screen?

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:37 PM

Then perhaps taking a step back to understand how the basics of a c# program operates would be best. See how events different in order, execution, and from say methods or constructors. How creating/instantiating an object of a form in another form can affect the project flow (especially with .show() and .showdialog())... as well as what event or method would be best to do it.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#9 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is offline

  • Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

Reputation: 5675
  • View blog
  • Posts: 12,192
  • Joined: 02-June 10

Re: How do I make a splash screen?

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:38 PM

View PostDarkranger85, on 31 August 2012 - 02:29 PM, said:

So my issue, put in simple terms, is that I don't know how to do the code or where to put it.


Then you have no business trying to design and build an application from scratch this early in your education. First you LEARN. Then you build. But you don't try to design and build when you still haven't learned the most ultra-basics of the language that you would have picked up in the first week of class or the first couple chapters of a 'learn C# in 30days' book.

There are over 500,000 users on DIC and a couple million new rookies every semester. We simply can't sit here and hand-hold you through personal tutoring because you don't want to open a book.

First learn the language by working 2-5 "Learn C# in 30 days" type books cover to cover. Do a couple hundred on-line tutorial projects where you build what you're told to build, the way you are told to build it WITH AN EXPLANATION OF WHY so you can learn.

Then later you can start architecting your own simple stuff. Build a calculator. Build a DVD library program. Etc. Stuff that doesn't involve the complexity of a game. Then move up to games.



There are three routes people seem to take when learning programming.
  • Just start trying to create programs
  • Start taking apart other programs and try to figure out the language by reverse engineering
  • Follow a guided learning course (school or self-teaching books)


For the life of me I can't figure out why people try 1 & 2. I strongly suggest taking the guided learning approach. Those book authors go in a certain order for a reason: They know what they're doing and they know the best order to learn the materials.

Quote

Where do I start?


You start by learning a coding language FIRST.
Learn to plan before you type.
THEN you start designing software with a purpose.


If this sounds like you

Newbie/Rookie said:

I have a little programming experience but I need to write ...
read this section
Spoiler


Otherwise, you can just jump to the resources here:
Some of the tutorials below are for C# or Java not C, C++, VB.NET [...]. But the conceptual stuff of classes, object oriented design, events etc. are not language specific and should give you enough guidance in theory of program development for you to be able to look-up specific code example in your chosen coding language.



Resources, references and suggestions for new programmers. - Updated Mar 2012
Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 Darkranger85  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 1
  • View blog
  • Posts: 148
  • Joined: 31-August 12

Re: How do I make a splash screen?

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:42 PM

I am reading C# books on programming as well.

This project is just kind of my side learning project. I learn more "hands on" than I do reading a book. Perhaps I am not learning a lot of the how does this effect the flow of that and such. But I have learned quite a bit about how a lot of things work.

And I tried right clicking on my form and going to properties and I don't see the Application>Slash Screen part that was in your previous reply.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 modi123_1  Icon User is online

  • Suitor #2
  • member icon



Reputation: 9572
  • View blog
  • Posts: 36,247
  • Joined: 12-June 08

Re: How do I make a splash screen?

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:46 PM

Upload a screen shot of what you do see.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is offline

  • Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

Reputation: 5675
  • View blog
  • Posts: 12,192
  • Joined: 02-June 10

Re: How do I make a splash screen?

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

View PostDarkranger85, on 31 August 2012 - 02:42 PM, said:

And I tried right clicking on my form and going to properties and I don't see the Application>Slash Screen part that was in your previous reply.


That's because you seem to have issues with following the direction, or with English. Is English a secondary language for you?

View Postmodi123_1, on 31 August 2012 - 01:56 PM, said:

right click on project -> properties -> application -> splash screen -> select form.


Nobody said anything about right-clicking on your form.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 Darkranger85  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 1
  • View blog
  • Posts: 148
  • Joined: 31-August 12

Re: How do I make a splash screen?

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 31 August 2012 - 01:38 PM, said:

View PostDarkranger85, on 31 August 2012 - 02:29 PM, said:

So my issue, put in simple terms, is that I don't know how to do the code or where to put it.


Then you have no business trying to design and build an application from scratch this early in your education. First you LEARN. Then you build. But you don't try to design and build when you still haven't learned the most ultra-basics of the language that you would have picked up in the first week of class or the first couple chapters of a 'learn C# in 30days' book.

There are over 500,000 users on DIC and a couple million new rookies every semester. We simply can't sit here and hand-hold you through personal tutoring because you don't want to open a book.

First learn the language by working 2-5 "Learn C# in 30 days" type books cover to cover. Do a couple hundred on-line tutorial projects where you build what you're told to build, the way you are told to build it WITH AN EXPLANATION OF WHY so you can learn.

Then later you can start architecting your own simple stuff. Build a calculator. Build a DVD library program. Etc. Stuff that doesn't involve the complexity of a game. Then move up to games.


I appreciate the links and resources, as well as the advice. And I partially agree with what you are saying, but then again I also have to add that everyone learns differently.

I learn by doing as I learn, not learning and then doing. Practical experience beats reading any day of the week. That being said, you are correct, first projects should be simple. As my application is. My application is super super simple, and I have learned a lot while I have fuddled around trying to get things working.

The only part that I have gotten stuck on is the splash screen and getting it to start on bootup.

Again I thank you for your replies and your advice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is offline

  • Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

Reputation: 5675
  • View blog
  • Posts: 12,192
  • Joined: 02-June 10

Re: How do I make a splash screen?

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:51 PM

View PostDarkranger85, on 31 August 2012 - 02:42 PM, said:

I learn more "hands on" than I do reading a book.



See FAQ # 28. (Click the SHOW button below)



TOP most asked:
What does this error message mean?
FAQ 2: How do I debug
FAQ 3: How do I make Class1/Form1 talk to Class2/Form2


FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions - Updated July 2012
Spoiler



Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 modi123_1  Icon User is online

  • Suitor #2
  • member icon



Reputation: 9572
  • View blog
  • Posts: 36,247
  • Joined: 12-June 08

Re: How do I make a splash screen?

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:51 PM

Quote

and getting it to start on bootup.

Make a folder on the c drive.
Copy your executable into this folder.
Create a shortcut to your executable in that folder.
Drag that shortcut to the start button -> programs -> startup folder.

Voila.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3