3 Replies - 508 Views - Last Post: 04 September 2012 - 11:55 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hello :)

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:23 PM

Hi everybody! My name is James Sams and I'm fairly excited about joining. I currently have no experience in coding but I just joined my 1st c++ class at my community college and I definitely want to make it into a career. Any tips and pointers are sincerely appreciated.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hello :)

• member icon

• View blog

Re: Hello :)

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:12 AM

Welcome to Dream In Code. Hope to see you around the forums.

Any tips and pointers are sincerely appreciated.

Make sure you type in the example programs in your text book, compile them with your favorite compiler and see how the program works. You will find that the best way to learn programming is to program. But start simple, learn the basic language before you try to shoot for the moon. Try to figure out the problems some of the other people are having with their code. Don't be afraid to experiment with some basic programs, even purposely breaking the program to see how the compiler responds. Reading and understanding what your compiler is telling you about the errors is important.

Again welcome to the site, hope to see you in the forums.

Jim
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:07 AM

Hi James, I'm new to the forums also. I took a C++ class two mods ago. one difference I noticed right away (after previously learning Visual Basic) is that I often misinterpreted the error messages I received when I miscoded something. Jimblunberg offered some very good advice in "breaking" (aka miscoding) part of a program to see how it responds as this helps identify and learn the error messages.

Happy Coding!
Shane
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:55 PM

Thanks guys, I'm into my second week of c++ and I'm beginning to see why this isn't for everyone. By no means am I discouraged. I think I will enjoy this class more then I expected. Again, thanks for the tips!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1