3 Replies - 1812 Views - Last Post: 01 September 2012 - 07:38 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Semi turn based browser game combat system?

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:23 AM

Hello,
Thanks for your time.

I'm theorizing about a combat system for a simple online game I'm making for myself, or a couple of friends. In this game I am looking to implement a semi turn based combat system: answer a question, choose an answer, or make a move type idea within a time limit.

I've been trying to research this out online on various sites and forums for the last couple days to no avail. I'm comfortable learning or using new languages; at this point I am simply looking to see what is possible with which languages and a general look at the code or how it works.-->semi turn based browser game combat system.

Rpg-style: go out, encounter a mob/baddie/animal, battle via semi turn based system where user performs action (answers question by typing in or choosing displayed options) in order to land a successful attack.

Any help or redirection to specific sites or articles will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Semi turn based browser game combat system?

• lost in compilation
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Semi turn based browser game combat system?

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:38 PM

Many languages would suffice depending on how complex you want the result to be and the graphics you want to use.
Flash/Actionscipt may have the most options for this, but there will be a learning curve. Many popular games are done with a scripting language like PHP, Perl or Python with Javascript/AJAX or HTML5 to help with display and updates.
Telling us what you are already familiar with might help us guide your choice(s) better.

I wanted to point out that there's nothing 'semi' about what you described. If the players do not play at the same time, ie. they "take turns", then it is a turn based game whether there is a time limit per turn or not.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for the quick reply!
I'm familiar with php,mysql,html,css and have done a university course in c/c++ and a university course in java (oop) a couple years back.

For my combat system I'm loosely thinking of a system that: gives 1-5 random questions in succession from db to which the user has to answer within a time limit in order to either attack successfully or give max "strength" to their attack, then the battle ensues (based upon the "strength" previously determined from the questions).

To make it easier for me to allow tons of possible questions I was hoping to make extensive use of my db to hold them and be able to draw from. Is Flash the best for this sort of idea? I do not want to have the page reload every time the player clicks something. Without flash, which combo of languages enables this? and to what degree?

You could use ninjawarz.com as a model if needed.

Thanks again for response!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:38 PM

edit: For a model I gave the wrong site, it is Pockie Ninja located here
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1