2 Replies - 427 Views - Last Post: 02 September 2012 - 11:30 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Need guidence for my flunking career

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:03 AM

This is navina...i am working private s/w company...i have been working in this company since 3 years...my role is s/w developer...in this company they are using their own language and its mostly related to structural engineering and ship initial design software...now i am very much scared to get job outside...i am not even a fresher..and totally i lost my knowledge on c/c++/Java ...i don want to curse abt wat i did already...i want to know what other ways are available for me to compete in this s/w world and get in to other s/w company..can anyone please guide me...looking forward to hear from subject matter experts...

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Need guidence for my flunking career

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Need guidence for my flunking career

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:29 AM

I have worked as a software engineer/website developer for several years without ever having gone to college. Now that I am attending, I am being formally trained, but it is totally possible to educate yourself in these matters. Invest in some good books in whatever language you and dedicate an hour each day to work through the books AND the examples. If you set your mind to it, you can learn these languages. Then what you need to do is design a portfolio - create a bunch of example programs both to practice with and show off to potential employers.

Learn a lot of the mainstream languages and you should be set. Finally, participate in discussions and challenges here on </dream.in.code> as that is what prepared me for my career.

Good luck, and feel free to ask if you have any questions!

-Dogstopper
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Need guidence for my flunking career

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:30 AM

Navina,
Dogstopper is right, if you have the motivation and focus, you can refresh/teach yourself by renting books from the library or purchasing books on-line and participating in forums such as this. Formalized school can obviously help, but don't let its absence be an obstacle to your success.

Happy Coding!
Shane
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1