3 Replies - 801 Views - Last Post: 01 September 2012 - 07:25 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Know a language but can't figure how to use it for a purpose?

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:12 PM

Okay, so I'm learning C. Understanding pretty much off it by this time. But the problem is that I have no idea how i would design a program. Where i should use what so forth.. Is this normal while being a beginner or novice programmer ?

I am starting to think that i have learned wrongly or what ever. So i have problems doing exercises because of this. And It's starting to bother me a lot.

Anyone could tell me if this is normal and how i can get better at Program Design i believe It's called.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Know a language but can't figure how to use it for a purpose?

• lost in compilation
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Know a language but can't figure how to use it for a purpose?

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:30 PM

What have you learned so far?
Are you learning C or C++?
Have you learned any GUI design or only command line (text) interfaces?
What sort of exercises are you being asked to do?

The basics can sometimes feel boring or useless, but the learning needs to start somewhere.
*Crawling doesn't seem that closely related to walking, yet it builds many of the necessary muscles.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:35 PM

Programming takes practice. Remember when you were learning how to solve word problems in grade school and high school? It took practice to learn how to translate the word problem in to equations. The same tends to be true with designing programs.

Well written exercises in textbooks are like good practice pieces when you are learning to play on instrument. They focus on particular skills and concepts that you need to learn, but those pieces won't teach you how to compose music.

Creating a program takes elements from the two paragraphs above. Part is translating the programming task into a set of manageable smaller problems, and the other part is using the skills you learned in you programming exercises and applying them to the smaller problems.

Right now, though, programming is still an art. Although, Booch and proponents of the Rational Unified Process do prescribe a set of steps take when designing a program the results often feel like "canned" software if you have a chance to read the code. Well written and designed code has a feel and a flow to it. Manufactured code seems very sterile and robotic.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#4 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:25 PM

Take a look at the "Homework help" link in my signature block - That article is directed specifically at planning and designing.

Take a look at the "Homework help" link in my signature block - That article is directed specifically at planning and designing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1