1 Replies - 300 Views - Last Post: 03 September 2012 - 11:40 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

How Long is the Road Ahead (also, hi!)

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:06 AM

Hi everyone!

So, a few months ago, I started learning to program, specifically C#. Part of that is, it's always something I wanted to do. The other part is, I'm a lowly field tech right now, and it seems like a good way to move up in the world while I'm still young (late 20s).

Right now, I'm working through a couple "teach yourself C#" books concurrently (I find it easier than just doing one, which may not explain things as well as the other, and vice versa). After that, I plan to move on to playing around with a bunch of the tutorials and challenged here on DIC and going through a more advanced book like Pro C#.

So I have a couple questions. First, when will I know I'm ready to start putting myself out there as a programmer? How will I know that I know enough to apply for "Junior Developer" type jobs?

Second, how long is a realistic expectation if I really dive into it, spending most evenings reading over code and tinkering with my own?

And lastly, how do I show potential employers I know what I'm doing? Should I be looking to pick up a Microsoft certification? And if so, which one?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How Long is the Road Ahead (also, hi!)

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: How Long is the Road Ahead (also, hi!)

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:40 AM

C# is a great language for beginners with a lot of online support - so a good choice.
How will you know when you are readu to apply for jobs? Hard to say. Every person is different. I would say, if you have written some more advanced applications in your chosen language and if you can answer some more advanced questions on the forum that people keep asking then you could be ready. Also, just google interview questions for a C# position and try to answer them.

About convincing your future employers about your knowledge - i would say build a portfolio. This is a good way of practicing your coding skills and at the same time you are working on something that might persuade the future employer to give you the job.

Also, trying different programming paradigms might make you a better programmer.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1