4 Replies - 1478 Views - Last Post: 04 September 2012 - 09:50 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

C++ Programmer, No Experience, Wants to Program 3D Games

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:41 PM

Need help on going in the right direction here. Preferably I'd like to learn Direct X. Anyone willing to help, I'd appreciate it.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: C++ Programmer, No Experience, Wants to Program 3D Games

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: C++ Programmer, No Experience, Wants to Program 3D Games

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:19 AM

POPULAR

"No Experience" is going to be your biggest problem.

Here's what you want to do:
Spend time working on learning C++. It's going to take a while before your projects begin to get interesting, but you have to put forth the time and effort to learn if you want to do anything well. Don't worry about graphics, don't worry about games, just focus on learning the language.

At the same time, start reading up and learning 3D mathematics. Calculus, Linear Algebra, Trig -- all of these are going to be very important if you want to do 3D programming. You will need a solid understanding of these; matrices, vectors and quaternions are going to be big on your list of "must understand" items.

After you've got enough experience and a strong understanding of C++, start looking into doing 2D development. It will give you a good idea of what it takes to program a game, and will give you a basic introduction to how working with graphics operates -- there are hundreds of tutorials for popular 2D rendering APIs that are based in OpenGL or Direct3D, including SDL, SFML and HGE.

After you have a solid understanding of 2D game programming, start using a 3D library such as Irrlicht or OGRE to give you a sense of how to work with 3D graphics and games. Get an understanding of how other libraries operate before trying to write your own.

After you feel comfortable with a 3D library, you should be more than ready to move onto working directly with OpenGL and/or Direct3D -- and there countless books, tutorials and snippets of varying levels of quality out there. For OpenGL, I recommend "Beginning OpenGL Game Programming, 2D" by Luke Benestead while for Direct3D, I've always been a fan of the "Introduction to Direct3D Game Programming" books by Frank Luna.
Was This Post Helpful? 7
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:59 AM

This is helpful. Thank you so much.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:15 AM

View PostKorum, on 04 September 2012 - 12:41 AM, said:

Preferably I'd like to learn Direct X.

Then why on Earth did you post this under C/C++ Advanced Topics?!

** Moved to game development ** (Where we have MANY do it yourself resources provided to you)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:50 PM

just for a reality check (because often times we get people who want to make games, but dont really care about programming), if you're amazing, itll take about 5 years before you can truly start your game project.

obviously im making assumptions, but i think its pretty reasonable
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1