4 Replies - 1019 Views - Last Post: 18 September 2012 - 11:34 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Starting Freelance Idea

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:52 AM

Hello fellow dics,

Well I'm in the middle of a general idea and would like to get some idea's if any of you have done this type of idea or if you even think it's worth it. Well in my area the local company's here have website from like 1998, with the basic just wire frame look. They are shitty and the company need to be opened up to a new look. I think I have a pretty good eye now after a long journey in the design area, should I go ahead and make a premade website for these companies and just try to sell them what I have created. I mean has anyone attempted to do this and if so how was the outcome.

I don't have a hard time getting jobs from word of mouth from the online gaming community but I want to actually hit here in my home town and surrounding areas. Do you think it will be a waste of time. If anyone has any ideas to add to this that would be good. I appreciate your time and service.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Starting Freelance Idea

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Starting Freelance Idea

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:16 AM

I attempted to do this a couple of times back in the day, most of them won't even respond and so it's not worth your time.

A better idea would be to go in and see if you can get a face-to-face meeting with one of the managers/directors and explain benefits of a new site, the potential customer growth and whatever else you can come up with. Then you take it from there, offering perhaps a local/startup discount.

Don't be too pushy, if you're just turning up you should prepare some form of elevator pitch, as they probably wouldn't give somebody who turns up much time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:35 PM

thanks rudi I will take face to face approach. I wasn't sure if someone has tried this and actually liked it and has good work from it. I will approach these companies and fill you in guy in on this approach. Thanks for the response
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:22 PM

I have been looking for ways to get involved in my community and have thought of this as well as I live in a really small town. I think Rudi is right, meeting face to face with the business owners/decision makers is key. Although creating some type of template to have the sites made ahead of time seems convenient, my initial thought is that it's a waste of time (aka loss of money). Especially since every business owner has a different vision of their business and if they're willing to hire you, they'll probably have their own vision of what they want.

I'm really curious about this, so please do report back on progress if you do it.

Good luck!
Shane
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:34 AM

View PostFinney_3, on 04 September 2012 - 07:52 AM, said:

should I go ahead and make a premade website for these companies and just try to sell them what I have created. I mean has anyone attempted to do this and if so how was the outcome.

A friend of mine said his brother would do this. He just did a photo-mock-up so not to waste time coding on non-clients. The turn-around is low. A few things you need to keep in mind :

1.) Most people, especially groups of people, reject change. Especially when the current method is making money.
2.) What they are currently using cost them money at one time. Management doesn't like spending more money to end up with (in their mind) the same product. You'll need to also sell them why it's better, not just to you but to everyone. Heh, good luck with this one :)
3.) You're an outsider. If they didn't come up with the idea, then it's likely crap & you won't get through the front door.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1