10 Replies - 11085 Views - Last Post: 14 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

CMS vs traditional website

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:43 AM

i know this is a Off topic question.

whats is the main difference between the two. Also if CMS is easier to use why developers still build websites.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: CMS vs traditional website

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Re: CMS vs traditional website

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:55 AM

A CMS is prepackaged and generalized, where as a custom built web site can do exactly what you want to do and nothing else. The compromise is between:
  • Quick and easy to set up but with limitations. (CMS)
  • More difficult to set up but more efficient to run and more likely to fit your specs. (Custom built)

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:09 AM

My employer has opted for option 3: using a canned CMS and then demanding that it be customized to suit what would have taken considerably less time had I just done the custom job to begin with. C'est la vie.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:56 AM

View PostBenignDesign, on 06 September 2012 - 12:09 PM, said:

My employer has opted for option 3: using a canned CMS and then demanding that it be customized to suit what would have taken considerably less time had I just done the custom job to begin with. C'est la vie.

I feel your pain, I had a client who wanted wordpress. I told him that it would be better to just build it myself but he was very insistant on setting up wordpress. Of course he gave me a list of things he wanted done, which were not so easy to do. It was a complete pain in the ass especially considering all the things he wanted. At least he wasn't persistant about a Joomla cms heh.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:38 AM

Personally, I totally disagree with using Wordpress for any website. First of all, most developers are getting lazy and, with half of work done, will ask less money on a website. Customers can't appreciate the real development work... most of them think that a website is made by just clapping your hands (run install CMS, next, next... install theme, done).

Now, if you have to create a complex website, using a CMS is like making your work harder. You will have to look for plugins and behave like a "user" not like a "developer".

CMS is for small websites. If you need more, build your own or use a framework.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:42 AM

Does that extend to Drupal as well?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:20 AM

I have a good impression a bout Drupal.
Both Drupal and Joomla are very complex CMSystems and you need to learn a lot about every of it. Maybe after you learn lots of things everything will become easier to handle. Even so, I believe that if a customer needs some "special stuff" you'll need a big research that will cost you much more time than make it "by hand".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:53 AM

Hmm.. interesting. I don't really see major difference between either CMS with the exception that Wordpress is already geared, out of the box, for a quick site design. That being said I don't see the big deal about shifting time from the nuts and bolts of a site (by using a CMS) to more of the layout and artsy side. I guess I am odd.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 23 October 2012 - 08:53 AM, said:

Hmm.. interesting. I don't really see major difference between either CMS with the exception that Wordpress is already geared

Wordpress was designed for blogs, its not so complex as Drupal or Joomla (only worked with Drupal and Wordpress). The only way you can add a "complex" structure in Wordpress is to add articles and pages. It's no way you can compare it with Drupal (which, also, is much harder to understand). This is just my point... maybe I didn't (want to) make many progresses with Wordpress.

This post has been edited by vectorialpx: 23 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:21 AM

I help run a couple websites utilizing Drupal CMS. Drupal is different from other CMS I've tried because it's so extensible. I've done a lot of coding on the site, but also saved a lot of time through using the CCK. I'm able to bring non-programmers into the development team because they can grasp how to piece things together with the CCK. It takes some training and dedication on their part, naturally, but I think it's a good fit for voluntary team-based work for that reason.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

View Postvectorialpx, on 23 October 2012 - 09:38 AM, said:

Personally, I totally disagree with using Wordpress for any website. First of all, most developers are getting lazy and, with half of work done, will ask less money on a website. Customers can't appreciate the real development work... most of them think that a website is made by just clapping your hands (run install CMS, next, next... install theme, done).

Now, if you have to create a complex website, using a CMS is like making your work harder. You will have to look for plugins and behave like a "user" not like a "developer".

CMS is for small websites. If you need more, build your own or use a framework.

And I told him something similar to that but he wanted wordpress, only because he knew how to use it and wanted to blog. He even told me all the plugins he wanted me to implement. I asked him why he just didn't do it himself (not offensively, of course) and he just said he didn't have the time... needless to say it was a very easy job and he paid decently. He was a friend of my boss and my boss insisted I take the job. He picked out the template and plugins he wanted and I installed it, modified it a bit to make it look like a real website (which actually was more work than I expected) and voila.

He's one of those guys who doesn't know anything about anything and relies on other people's knowledge, as was my boss. Since I was the IT manager everything computer related was my responsibility (even building websites apparently) and when something broke it was always my fault because for some reason everyone is an expert all of a sudden, when something breaks (like the networked printers, ugh). Sorry for the small rant, I'm glad I no longer work there.

View Postvectorialpx, on 23 October 2012 - 02:58 PM, said:

View Postmodi123_1, on 23 October 2012 - 08:53 AM, said:

Hmm.. interesting. I don't really see major difference between either CMS with the exception that Wordpress is already geared

Wordpress was designed for blogs, its not so complex as Drupal or Joomla (only worked with Drupal and Wordpress). The only way you can add a "complex" structure in Wordpress is to add articles and pages. It's no way you can compare it with Drupal (which, also, is much harder to understand). This is just my point... maybe I didn't (want to) make many progresses with Wordpress.

The problem with Drupal, in my opinion, is the dependency of plugins. Everything is a plugin and while that is sometimes a good thing not everyone updates their plugins or abandons a plugin if you don't feel like creating your own. This is why I have an aversion to CMS because they are too reliant on third party plugins that people will eventually abandon or go another route. You eventually get stuck with either finding another plugin or creating your own anyways.

This post has been edited by kiasta: 14 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1